Inexorable Death

Anna

"Steiger has fallen." Say'ri says. We had just finished off the battle to claim Fort Steiger, and we had emerged victorious. "...But I'm afraid our new enemy has the fortress surrounded."

" 'New Enemy' ... You mean the rest of the former Resistance?" Chrom asks. During the battle, our reinforcements had arrived, but someone had come and intervened, turning them against us.

Say'ri nods "Aye, sir. Words cannot express my shame. My...regret... Finally, I succeed in uniting them... but only against us." She says. I cannot imagine what she is going through right now...

Just then, a Ylissean soldier runs up to us "Milord! Dire news! Our forces to the north and south have been decimated by Walhart and Yen'fay! What's worse, most of the survivors have turned their coats for the empire!" He announces.

All of us real back in shock "B-but our troops numbered in the hundreds of thousands!" Say'ri exclaims.

Basilio sighs "The empire must have had more."

"Or perhaps better trained and equipped..." Flavia chimes in.

"Blast! Walhart and my brother- where are their armies now?" Say'ri asks.

"Marching toward this fortress, milady. It's only a matter of time." The soldier replies.

"So much for fortune favoring the bold. This war is lost before it even began." Basilio says.

Chrom sighs "All our struggles until now, and we've yet to so much as dent the empire..." He says.

...No. There has to be another way! There IS another way! We cannot give up now! "...Chrom?"

My husband turns to me "What is it, Anna? Do you have something to say?" He asks.

Determination fills my blood "We need to leave here- right away." I order.

"Have you lost your wits? We're surrounded!" Flavia exclaims.

"When the other armies arrive, then we'll be trapped for a certainty. If we intend to escape, now is our best chance." I say.

Say'ri nods "She's right. The dynasts outside betray us only out of fear for the empire. They'll only put up token resistance without their masters watching." She says.

"But we can't keep running forever. How do we hope to turn the tide?" Chrom asks.

"By striking at either Walhart or Yen'fey before they join strength," I answer.

Chrom frowns "Either one seems a death sentence." He says.

"One general would be upon us before we could finish with the other." Say'ri says.

I nod "I agree...which is why we attack both." I say.

"Our army lies in tatters, yet you would divide it by half?!" Flavia shouts.

I hold up my hand in hopes to calm my sister "...I didn't say by half. Chrom would lead our strongest troops against Yen'fey. Meanwhile, a smaller force would attack Walhart." I say.

"A SMALLER force? We couldn't defeat him with double our entire number." Basilio says.

They are not listening... "...I didn't say we'd defeat him. We only need to distract him." I say.

"Hmm... Spend some lives to buy the other team time..." Basilio says.

Chrom takes a deep breath "This smaller force would face our most dangerous mission yet. It would need a leader of unparalleled skill, reckless, bravery..."

Basilio laughs "All right, Chrom, please- you're embarrassing me! I'll do it already- just stop with all the compliments!" He says.

I stare a Basilio "This is no time for japes, Basilio. The stakes could not be higher." I say.

"I am being serious- I'll lead the squad. Though I prefer my steaks well done..." He says.

Flavia laugh-sighs "That's just his way, Anna. Bad jokes come with the bravado. But the oaf clearly has faith in your thinking. And I as well... All of us do, I'd wager. Somehow you always find a way to beat the odds." She says

Basilio nods "Then it's settled. I'll make the preparations and be off. The rest of you stay with Chrom and keep him safe." He orders.

You don't need to tell me twice! "Godspeed, Basilio," I say.

Basilio goes to leave, but Lucina holds out her arms and stops him.

"Stop!" She shouts.

Chrom and I look at each other, confused "Lucina? What are you-" Chrom is cut off.

"I cannot allow you to go, Khan Basilio. You will die in this battle. I know if for truth!" Lucina says.

We all gasp in shock "What?" Chrom shouts.

Basilio rubs his head "You know, lass, you have a strange way of saying good-bye. All right, then. Who is it? Who kills me? Is it Walhart himself? ...Please say yes. It'd make a poor song to die at the end of some farmer's pitchfork." He jests.

Lucina nods "...Yes, it was Walhart. Or so goes the story I heard. We must change our plans so fate cannot take this course!" She demands.

Basilio ends "All I needed to know. Thank you much, lass. ...I'll be careful."

Lucina gasps "Y-you're still going? But I just told you-"

"Aye, I heard you just fine. But someone still has to stall his division from advancing. If he's the one that kills me, well then, I'll just avoid confronting him. You don't grow this old and handsome without knowing how to avoid trouble." Basilio says.

"N-no! It's never that simple." Lucina shouts.

"Don't worry, love, he'll be just fine. He'll have me to keep an eye on him." Flavia says.

Basilio turns to her "You aren't coming, woman! You're the reigning khan!" He yells.

"I thought you intended to survive this, oaf. Regna Ferox has two khans, and now you're responsible for both. I dare you to die now!" Flavia shouts.

Basilio thinks for a moment, then laughs "...Har! Aha ha ha! All right, all right. You can come. ...Hope that's all right, Chrom." He asks.

Chrom nods "Just look after each other." He orders.

Flavia laugh "Ha! I'll bring this big ox back on a leash if it comes to that." She jests.

Basilio laughs "Luck and more be with you all. We'll meet again soon." He says.

Lucina lowers her arms "But please, your future! You must-"

" 'Please,' yourself! Not another word. I fully intend to outlive all you sprogs- just see if I don't. And as for your 'future,' it can kiss my big brown Feroxi arse!" Basilio says, leaving the room with Flavia.

Chrom and I share a look, then approach our daughter to comfort her "It will be alright, Lucina. Everything will go according to plan." Chrom says.

Lucina stares off "...I hope you're right..."

_______________________

Angst... Yes! I have a long weekend ahead of me, so look out for more updates! I know I am really excited to write the next chapter! Also, I just noticed that this now has over 1K reads! I can't believe it! Thank you all so much for reading... truly... I never thought that this would be read so much... thank you... I hope you enjoyed reading, and I hope you look forward to more!

Currently listening to: Shelter: Porter Robinson & Madeon