The News Of War

Chrom

I stand in the Great Hall, Frederick beside me, awaiting the messenger that called for me. An Ylissean soldier approaches me "Sire, a messenger from Regna Ferox." He says.

I nod "See them on at once." I command.

He bows "Yes, milord." He says.

He exits, and the Feroxi soldier, Raimi, approaches me "Prince Chrom, I come on behalf of Khan Regnant Flavia." She says.

"Flavia? Well, this is a surprise. Is something amiss?" I ask.

She nods "I fear so, milord. The Khan requests your presence at a summit as soon as you're able." She says.

"What's happened?" I ask.

"Our western neighbors of Valm are no longer acting neighborly. The emperor, who they name the Conqueror, has launched warships against us." She says.

What?! An invasion? After only two years of peace?! "An invasion? Are you certain of this?" I ask.

Raimi nods "Yes, milord. The khan hopes to meet with you in Ferox, if it please you." She requests.

Frederick turns to me "What do you make of this, sire?" He asks.

"Ill business to be sure. Raimi, we will meet with Flavia at once..." I say.

Moments later, Lissa enters the Great Hall, followed by my wife, who is holding our infant in her arms.

Anna approaches me "Chrom..." She says.

I look at her, and then our daughter. I sigh, and meet her gaze "I know what you're thinking, Anna, but we owe Regna Ferox a great debt. I must apprise myself of the facts there before deciding on a course of action." I say, sadness and longing filling my heart at the thought of leaving my wife and daughter.

Anna smiles, "Nope, not what I was thinking. I was actually going to suggest we discuss strategy as we travel." She says.

She hands me our baby, who had just opened her small, little eyes, and she smiles at me. "B-but Lucina is newly born! She needs her mother now." I say, genuinely concerned.

"You told me House Ylisse has a tradition of wet-nursing. And you and Lissa turned out rather well from where I stand. Lucina is a strong child; she takes after her father. The Brand in her left eye proves it." Anna says.

"I'm not just worried about her... I'd worry about you as well." I confess.

Anna giggles "All the more reason to keep me close at hand, no? Together we can be more than we can alone, remember?" She asks.

Lissa giggles "Aw, let her come, Chrom! You could use her strategic thinking anyway." She says.

I look between my wife, daughter, and sister. I sigh in defeat "All right, Anna. Just promise to stay safe. Lissa and I had Emm of course, but we lost our parents when we were young. I want Lucina to grow up with her whole family around her." I say.

Anna nods "As do I. You have my word." She says.

She steps closer to Lucina and I. She sighs, her witty smile disappears, "I'm sorry, Luci... but I have to do this... I love you." She says, kissing Lucina on the head, making her giggle.