Lucina's Judgement

Anna

I need to think...

I walk out into a field to clear my head. The setting sun gives the earth a fiery glow.

Just then Lucina walks over to me. "Beg pardon, Mother. Might I have a word?" she asks.

I look to her and crack a small smile. "...Lucina. What is it?"

"It's about Father," she sighs. She clenches her fists tightly and holds back her tears. "I have memories of him, you know. From when I was little. Before he...died..."

I stare at my daughter. The more I look at her, the more I see not only Chrom but myself. She has my eyes and she's also shaped a bit like me. "I see..." I murmur.

Lucina manages a small laugh and smiles. "He was courageous and kind, and everyone spoke fondly of him. People say he was brave right up until the very end," she said. "I always yearned to know him better. And now that I do... I can see that the world will be robbed of a very great man. ...I won't allow that to happen."

I smile at her. "I understand. You love him," I said. "...As do I. You, Chrom, and Morgan are my everything..."

Lucina clenches her eyes shut and trembles. "Mother, I..." she chokes on her words as she fights back her emotions. "Please, forgive me..."

What she does next makes me gasp in stunned shock.

She draws Falchion and points it at my throat.

"Lucina?!" What is she doing?! Is she under Validar's control?! Why is she pointing Falchion at me?!

"Stay where you are, Mother!" she shouts. "I have no choice. I must kill you."

My eyes widen and a million different emotions spread inside of me. "What?! What madness is this?!" I yell, my voice carrying all my emotions.

Lucina chokes down her tears. "In my future, you... You kill Father."

I already know this. Deep down I always prayed that it was just some bad nightmare and I was going insane. But hearing my daughter say it, I know it's for truth now. "No! That's insane! Why would I kill Chrom?" I cry. I can't even deny it at this point...

"I was not certain myself, until now..." she said. "I knew he had been killed by his closest friend. Having witnessed your bond with him, I doubted it could be so...you two loved each other beyond words...and I never thought you could ever lay a harmful hand on the one you loved so dearly. But today's events make it clear. You are at Validar's mercy. I suspect it's he who forces you to take Father's life, and very soon..."

I know. I know all of this. It's old news. But it feels so new to me. Gods, it feels so new! "Lucina, wait." I try and make my daughter stop and think for a moment, but knowing she's just like her father, she won't listen.

"If Father is right, then we can change our fates. If this dark future is to be averted, sacrifices must be made," she declares.

I stare into her sapphire eyes, her emotions matching mine. "I am sorry, Anna!" she shouts, letting her tears finally fall. "I know this is matricide, I... I know that..."

"Lucina, you don't have to-"

"Don't make it harder! It...will be swift and painless," she promises. "If you hold any love for Chrom, then let this be done..." I can tell she had a hard time choking that last bit out.

My world goes mute. I feel numb. Never would I have thought I would ever stand at swordpoint by my own daughter. I know there's a different way. I know I can think of something that will make sure I don't kill Chrom.