His Year - Fall

Chrom

"Milord? Are you alright?" Frederick asked me.

I looked at him and smiled. "I...yeah. I'm all right." I replied.

"As you say..."

It has been almost 7 months since Anna disappeared...and let's just say that this particular day is hard for me. September 16th...Anna's birthday... A lot has happened in these 7 months. I made Frederick captain of the Royal Guard, Sumia took over as the head Pegasus Caretaker, Cordelia took charge of the Pegasus Knights, a lot of our friends left to pursue their own paths and search for Anna...and I finally decided to take on the title of Exalt. I hope she's not gone long...

"Um...excuse me, Frederick, but I'm going to get some air," I said as I began to walk.

"Very well, Milord."

I opened the large door that led to the East Garden...Anna and I's favorite place to take walks. The garden still had its healthy green color, and a lot of the flowers were still in bloom. I did notice; however, some of the trees were losing their leaves. Anna had always loved the colors of the world when it was fall. Even though she loved gardening in the warm seasons of spring and summer; there was just something she loved about fall...

I smiled as I walked down the cobblestone path, each step filling my mind with sweet memories. I wrapped Anna's coat tighter around me as the chilly morning breeze blew passed me. As I looked into one area of the garden, my heart pained with a saddened feeling... That's the section of the garden I gave Anna on her birthday before we were married... Granted, now that she was queen, every garden was basically hers; but there was always something special about that one...

I sighed as the memory came back to me...

"Chrom! Where are you taking me?" Anna asked as I led her through the East Garden.

I felt her eyelashes flutter against my palms as I kept her eyes covered. "Just wait and see!" I exclaimed. "If I tell you what it is, it'll ruin the surprise!"

"Chrom, last time you tried surprising me: I was in the healer's ward for a week,"

"Well, I promise that nothing is going to explode this time!"

I continued to lead her through the garden until we came upon the area I wanted. "Hey, Anna? Remember when you told me you wanted a garden?" I asked.

"Yes...?"

"Happy birthday!"

I uncovered her eyes, and the look of sheer surprise and joy on her face told me that I had succeeded in gift giving. "Do you like it?" I asked.

Anna whirled around to face me. "I love it!" she exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me and kissing me briefly. "And I love you! Thank you so much, Chrom!" She kissed me again.

I chuckled against her lips and managed to pull away. "I'm glad you like it!" I said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Do I get to call this one a successful surprise?"

Anna rested her head on my chest. "Yes, you dork!" she laughed. "This is the greatest gift anyone could have ever given me..."

I smiled and kissed her head. "Good..."

I snapped back to reality and looked down. "Anna..." I murmured her name. "I...I'm taking good care of your garden, I promise. I won't let it die on my watch..."

...

"Sumia, how are the Pegasi?" I asked.

Sumia stopped brushing the mane of a Pegasus and turned to me. "They are doing just fine, Captain!" she chirped, setting the brush down and wiping her hands on a towel.