Fight For Her Life

Anna

"Emm!" Chrom shouted his sister's name.

Assassins had already arrived, sneaking out from the shadows. To our relief, the Shepherds must have heard the explosion as well and were preparing for battle. Marth kept running after we stopped, only to hold guard at Emmeryn's door.

"Chrom! Take Lissa and Anna and flee while you still have time!" The Exalt pleaded.

"No! We're not leaving you!" Chrom shook his head. "Just stay where it's safe!"

I narrowed my eyes on the battlefield. "The assassins should scatter if we can defeat their leader."

He nodded. "I know you have a plan, Anna. But keep in mind that our main priority is Emm."

"Chrom, please! Flee while you still can! You each have but one life, and I do not wish it weighed against mine!" Emmeryn desperately pleaded once more.

"Everyone, stay together as much as you can!" I ordered. "Stop anyone from pushing past our defenses!"

Chrom and I charged forward. A man with an ax decided to cross our path. It was the biggest mistake of his life. With a few swings of Chrom's sword and bursts of my lightning, he was done for.

Out of the corner of my eye, a dark mage tried to approach. "Chrom, I'll take down this mage. Keep pushing forward!" I didn't even wait to hear his reaction.

The mage snarled as a ruined their sneak attack. Blasts of magic were exchanged between us. However, they managed to get a hit on me. As he was about to finish me off, a silver sword ran through his gut.

Someone removed the sword, making the mage's dead body fall to the ground. Standing there was a ginger-haired thief.

"Th-thank you." I stood, dusting myself off. "Um, do I know you?"

"Gaius. Your blue haired friend just recruited me," he said. "Be careful, these assassins will not have mercy on you."

"R-right. Thanks."

"Anna! We need to advance! We can get to know each other later!" Chrom commanded.

"Yes, sir!" I shouted. Gods, it feels so weird to call him that. But, I have to. He is my commander before my fiancé on the battlefield.

The battle was a blur after that. With the help of Gaius and a newcomer, Panne - a shapeshifter who can turn into a rabbit.

After an hour of fighting, the leader finally came out of his hiding space. A dark mage, judging by his robes. He was tall with jet black hair. His skin was almost a sickly grey. What was most terrifying about him was his blood red eyes.

The worst part, I felt a sick connection between us. Like I've met him before.

He scowled at us. "Emmeryn was supposed to be an easy target..." he growled. "You will pay for interfacing in my designs!" He shot an Elfire at Chrom and me. I quickly jumped in front of the prince and cast a wind spell, blowing the flames away.

As the blaze cleared, his eyes landed on me. "Well, well... Ha ha ha! Oh, I know you..." he laughed. "Submit to me, and perhaps I might honor you with the truth!" 

Wait, what?! He knows me?! No... I don't care! He tried to hurt Emmeryn, he will pay!

In my moment of shock, I was hit by a blast of heat. I cried out in pain, trying to shake the flames off.

"NO!" Chrom's face twisted into one of pure anger. "You will pay for that!"

Before the man could react, Chrom sprinted forward and drove Falchion into his gut. "No... this is...all wrong... How could...you have known the plan..." With his dying breath, he fell to the ground.

Chrom dropped Falchion and embraced me. "Anna, are you all right?" he asked, frantically checking me for wounds.

I released a breath, placing a hand on his forearm. "I'm fine." The look on his face told me he didn't believe me. "Really, I am. Right now, we need to check up on your sister."

He sighed. "You're right... There will be plenty of time to fret later."

...

Chrom

"Going somewhere? You have a bad habit of leaving without saying goodbye, you know." I stopped Marth as she tried to exit through the courtyard.

The blue-haired woman swallowed nervously. "Yes, I'm afraid I have a few bad habits."

"Good ones as well - you saved my life, as well as both of my sisters," I smiled. "Is there a way I can repay you? Some favor I can grant?"

She smiled back. "Hearing you offer is reward enough."

This woman truly baffles me. "But there must be something..." I pondered.

"I already have what I can for: history has been rewritten," she said.

"And what future averted?"

"After the exalt's untimely assassination, the Fire Emblem would have been stolen. This, in turn, would lead to a great war, and soon the end of mankind itself..." She shuttered. "But I'm sure that sounds like madness to you."

I shook my head. "... Strangely, no. It doesn't. Somehow I know I can trust you. And I hope someday to repay your favors."

"Perhaps one day you shall. Until then..." With that, she disappeared into the night.

What a strange woman... For some reason, I feel as if our paths will cross again.