An Ill Presage

Chrom

After three days of travel, we make it to the Dragon's Table.

I've kept Anna at my side like glue ever since the Lucina incident. I won't let her die. Lucina has been beating herself up ever since then, as well. Anna has done her best to make things not so awkward between the two. It hasn't exactly been working.

I think she's more concerned about Morgan finding out.

No one knows about the incident but me, Anna, and Lucina. And it's going to stay that way.

As we approach the Dragon's Table, we are bombarded by a huge wave of people. I take Anna by the hand so she won't get separated from me. "All these strange travelers... What's happening here?" I ask.

My little sister squeezes her way over to me. "Let's ask 'em!" she pokes an older man. "Um, excuse me, sir?" No reply. "...Sir?"

"...the appointed...time...to the Dragon's...Table...our prayers...Grima..." The man replies zombie-like.

"Riiiiiight... I'll just be backing away slowly then..." Lissa said, backing into her husband who draws his sword protectively in front of her.

"Sire!" Frederick calls, making his way through the crowd.

I turn to him. "Frederick! Have the scouts returned?" I ask, gripping Anna's hand tight.

He nods. "Yes, milord," he replied, "and with grim news. Validar has moved to a great altar to Grima known as the Dragon's Table. What's more, it seems all the Grimleal in Plegia are headed there as well. It's as if they're being drawn by some unseen force..."

"Any idea what it means?" I ask.

"Who can say, sire?" he sighed. "They speak only gibberish and plod on as if possessed."

I gasp and lock eyes with my daughter, who is giving me a mortified look. "The cataclysm in Lucina's future... This shows all the signs of leading to it. Damn! This destiny is a stubborn business..." I curse.

"We cannot give up." Lucina declares.

I turn to her and nod. "And we will not," I agree. "We make for this Dragon's Table, and quickly! Come, everyone!"

...

Just as we're about to enter the castle, we're stopped by Validar and Aversa and an army of strong looking Risen.

"Validar!" I shout. Anna growls and readies her sword, sparks jolting throughout it. I turn to her and nod. She has ever right to be angry right now...

"Fools! Do you know where you've come?" Validar sneers.

I ready Falchion. "Return the Fire Emblem now, and we can end this!" I demand.

"Aaah ha ha ha ha! You would...end this?" he laughs.

I grit my teeth. "Yes, once an for all."

"My dear boy, we already know how this story ends-you and I both!" Validar sneers. "And yet you rush here... Are you so eager to meet the fell dragon yourself? Or perhaps your own fatal destiny-you would have that realized first? Ha ha!!"

"To hell with your destiny!" I curse. "I'll write a new ending."

"Oh ho ho, so now you believe you can change fate?" Aversa retorted. "And here I thought your exalted sister had delusions of grandeur..."