Cataclysm

Chrom

Gods...why can't I sleep? I sat up and looked around; everyone was still sleeping peacefully. Why can't I shake this strange feeling from me? It felt like my heart was having a fight with my mind.

Then, a sudden chill went through me. "Huh?" I stood up and braced my hand on Falchion. What-what is this feeling?! Something isn't right!

Lissa started to stir. "What's wrong, Big Brother?" she yawned.

I turned to my sister. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," I apologized, "but... Something is amiss."

Lissa cocked her head to the side. "Define 'something'."

I shook my head. "I'm not sure... I think I'll have a look around," I said, running a hand through my hair.

Lissa frowned and picked up her staff. "Not alone, you won't! I'm coming too!" she declared.

I smiled at her. "Heh. Thanks, Lissa."

...

I don't know how long we've been walking. 10 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? I honestly had no clue. Time just seemed to stop.

The sky was dark and no signs of life could be found. The only noises that were heard were mine and Lissa's footsteps.

Then, we stopped.

The feeling in my heart was worse. It clawed its way into other parts of my body. My head, my stomach, my fingertips; everything. It was driving me insane.

My heart was pounding so hard that I could barely hear what my sister was saying. "It sure is dark. And quiet," she muttered. "Where did the birds go?"

"Something is wrong here..."

The ground shook. What the hell?!?! Ylisse isn't prone to earthquakes!

Lissa latched onto me. "Chrom!"

I gripped her shoulders and attempted to keep my balance. "Gods, what- Agh! What is this madness?! Lissa, stay close!"

Something in the forest moved. The tall pine trees fell like they were nothing. What is that?! "Lissa, run," I commanded. Lissa looked up at me, fear in her eyes. "I mean it, go!" I threw her off of me and ran after her.

The ground broke beneath our feet and fire shot out. The smoke and flames wasted no time in taking over the forest. I caught up to Lissa as she just barely managed to dodge the fire.

"This way!" I gripped her arm and forced her to turn. We came upon a ledge, and we had no choice but to jump. 

The fire in the forest seemed to be contained by some invisible wall. Lissa and I made it to a part of the forest where we could look over the destruction; we were both panting heavily.

"Chrom, what is that?" Lissa stole my attention and pointed up at the sky. There, a giant, portal-like object opened. What in Naga's name is that thing?! Before I could think any further, strange creatures fell out of the portal and fell to the earth.

I don't like the looks of this... The creatures looked more corpse than human and they moaned as they stood. "Lissa, you better stand back..." I ordered, drawing Falchion. The creatures moved forward, eyes flaring.