Incursion

Anna

When will we get there? We have been traveling for a few days now and we still haven't reached our destination. My legs hurt, I'm in a lot of pain, and I still do not know where Chrom gets his stamina.

Just then, Lissa stopped. "Ugh, my poor feet. I've got blisters the size of eggs!" she whined.

Chrom chuckled. "Oh, it's not so bad, Lissa. Just a healthy little stroll!" He paused and turned to me. "How are you holding up, Anna?"

I let out a heavy sigh. "My legs feel like pudding... Your endurance astounds me, Chrom."

A playful gleam shinned in his eyes. "Hah! Should I carry you?"

I blushed furiously and looked down. Carry me...? What is he thinking?! Although, I wouldn't really mind being carried.

Lissa saved me from death via spontaneous combustion. "You can carry me!" she chimed "...No, seriously. I would really be okay with you carrying me."

My attention is turned to the old Hierarch. I never saw much of him, but I definitely recognized him. I knew he was a friend of House Ylisse and guided Emmeryn during the early years of her rule. He kept looking at the peaks, a wary look in his eyes.

"Is something troubling you, Hierarch? You keep glancing up at the peaks," Frederick asked.

Hierarch snapped his head forward. "Hmm? Oh, I'm just b-bit nervous, I'm afraid. Gh-ghastly times, these!"

Well, that's not suspicious at all... "Chrom, is he always like that?" I whispered to my fiance.

Chrom briefly glanced at the old man. "No. Why do you ask?"

I frowned. "I can't quite put my finger on it, but something feels-" 

Before I could finish my sentence, Plegian soldiers emerged from the bushes. We were under attack!

"Grah ha hah! Time to die, princey!" One of them declared, brandishing his ax.

My face twisted into an angry snarl. Over my dead body.

More and more soldiers came forward, decorating the cliff side. Towards the tops of the peaks were wyvern riders, and I could only assume that there were more on their way.

"Plegian soldiers? Damn! How did they know we were here?" Chrom drew Falchion. "Everyone! Prepare for battle!"

As we formed up our battle positions, Hierarch ran forward. "Hold, sir! I am the man King Gangrel told you about! Did you not receive orders to take me into your protection?" he panted.

Their leader looked down at him. "I've orders to protect a man, true... But I see no man here! ...Only a pig! A rasher of traitorous bacon that sold out his own sovereign!" he snarled. "And what do we do with little piggies, mmm?"

"Well, you... I mean, perhaps... You let them go free?"

The man laughed. "Oh, are you a chicken now? Bawk bawk! We've a whole barnyard in our midst! Well, it don't matter what you are. The axe will fall just the same!" He yelled as the nearest soldier brought his ax down on the old man. I didn't even feel pity.