His Year - Winter

Chrom

The next few months passed quickly.

Nagamas has come and gone, the New Year had started, and Frederick and Sumia finally had Cynthia. The older Cynthia was beyond shocked at the birth of herself since she was born 5 months earlier from her birthday. Either way, everyone was happy. A few of my other friends had also decided to start their families. People like Tharja and Henry, Olivia and Vaike, and Nowi and Gregor. It made me happy to see everyone content with their lives. They honestly deserved it.

As winter went along, my depression grew more and more. Everything reminded me of Anna, and I could barely get through a conversation without drifting off in thought of Anna. I missed her. I missed her more than anything. Especially today. Valentine's Day...

"Chrom? Are you alright?" Lissa asked me.

I didn't even bother to look at her and just continued to stare at the sky. "No. No, I'm not," I said, my words hollow and empty. Did anything even matter anymore? What's the point of living if I don't even have my other half?

"Do you want to talk?"

"No."

"But-"

"No."

"Chrom!" Lissa grabbed my shoulders and stared me in the eyes. "You can't keep moping like this! You have people who need you! A kingdom to rule! You need to brighten up! Anna would want you to move forward..."

Her name scorched my heart like the strongest of fires. "...I'm going to go take care of Lucina..." I said, turning away from my sister.

"Chrom! Please! ...I hate seeing you this way! You need to show at least some sort of human emotion!" Lissa cried.

I stopped walking and stood in place for a moment. "...I think depression is human enough..." I muttered. "Goodbye, Lissa..."

"Chrom, please! Listen to me-"

I ignored her and made my way inside.

...

A year. A whole year. Anna has been gone an entire year.

The rest of February flew by without any events, and the next thing we knew, it was the middle of March.

I clutched my pillow and sobbed. "A-Anna... Please! Y-you have to come back!" I cried. "People are starting to think you're never going to return! That you're dead! Please! Come home..."

I can hardly feel anything. All emotions are gone. My Anna is gone. I haven't seen her, talked to her, held her, kissed her...for an entire year...

Everything is numb. It's been like that for a long time now. My heart is shattered, and my mind is far away. Anna isn't here. She isn't here to pull me back to reality.

She's gone.

I continued to cry, and I soon fell asleep.

...

The darkness.

"Chro-!" I heard Anna shout my name.

"...Anna?" I muttered. I could hear her.

But I didn't search like I always did. There's no point. I never find her.

I dropped to my knees and put my face in my hands. "...It's no use...it's all for nothing... I can't find you... It's too dark..."