Renewal

Anna

We arrived at Castle Ferox. The rain was pounding hard outside.

"All of that... For nothing..." I muttered.

Lissa was crying. Lon'qu and Maribelle were trying their best to comfort her. "Emm... Oh, Emm..." she sobbed.

"I should have died before allowing the exalt to be captured. I have failed as a knight..." Frederick clenched his fists.

Flavia turned to Basilio. "So what now, oaf?" She asked.

"Don't look at me - I'm not in charge!" he exclaimed.

Flavia groaned. "Ugh... I picked a fine time to regain full throne..."

I turned to Chrom. He looked so broken. "Chrom, I'm... I'm so sorry," I uttered. "My plan just wasn't enough."

Chrom let out a breath. "You did your best, Anna. ...You have my thanks." He swallowed his tears. "It's my own failures that haunt me now. Gods, I was just so powerless!"

"It's not your fault either, Chrom." I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"...She did it for me, Anna," he mumbled. "So that I wouldn't have to live with the guilt of either choice, she chose for me. She sacrificed herself rather than give up what could one day save her people..."

"Chrom..." No, now it's my turn. He's been there for me when I was down and not at my best. Now it's my turn to return the favor! A grabbed his face in my hands and made him look me straight in the eyes. "Listen to me. Look at me." He was silent. "I was powerless once, too, remember? And yes, alone. I don't think either one of us is half the person your sister was. But together...maybe we can be something more. If you fall, I'll be there to pull you back up. When you fight for your sister's ideals, I'll be by your side. You don't have to become your sister, you know. You can still be true to yourself. You just have to give people hope in whatever way you can." I almost broke down. I just want to hug and kiss him and tell him I love him and never leave his side!

"And what if I can't? What if I'm not worthy of her ideals?" he cried. "Anna, what if I drag you down with me?"

I moved my hands into his. "If you aren't worthy, you'll keep at it until you are. And if we both fall down, well, that's what friends are for, isn't it? He may be my commander, he may be my prince, he may be my love...but he is also my best friend.

Nowi jumped up. "That's right! I wouldn't even be here if not for you!"

Tharja nodded in agreement. "You gave me your trust, and now you have mine. ...For the time being."

Lon'qu gave Lissa's shoulders a comforting squeeze. "Were you unworthy, I would have left long ago."

"It took great courage and charisma to unite all of us," Viroin smirked. "...I knew I possessed such talents, but clearly, you do as well!"

"Yeah. We all look up to you! You're like a hero to us!" Ricken smiled.

"...Thank you, everyone. Your words mean more than you could know," Chrom said. "My Shepherds... My Warriors... There is work to be done. Gangrel must be stopped so that peace can once again reign in Ylisse." He took a deep breath. "Will you help me?"