Shepherds

Anna

We walked into a large room with people and various different objects in it. Lissa walked to the center of the room. "Here we are! The Shepherd's garrison. Go on, make yourself at home." She gave a little twirl to show off the room.

"Lissa, my treasure! Are you all right? I've been on pins and needles!" A woman with blonde curls and a pink riding outfit ran up and hugged Lissa.

"Oh, hey, Meribelle!" Lissa hugged the girl back.

Maribelle released Lissa. "Oh, hey, yourself! I've sprouted 14 grey hairs fretting over you!"

"Aw, you worry too much. I can handle a battle or two! Although, I could do without the bugs and the bear barbecue..."

"Hey, squirt! Where's Chrom? I bet he had a rough time out there without ol' Teach and his trusty axe!" A man with spiky blonde hair said. There are a lot of blondes here...

"Oh, so you're 'Teach' now, Vaike, is that it? Hee hee! And here I thought people were just born lacking wits. It can be taught?" Lissa sneered.

"Ha! Never doubt the Vaike! Wait, was that an insult?"

"Beg pardon, but when might we see the captain?" A girl with long brown hair and wearing pink armor asked.

Maribelle turned to her. "Poor Sumia. She's simply been beside herself with concern... Her eyes were scanning the horizon all day during training. She might have earned fewer bruises fighting blindfolded," she said

"Aw, Sumia, that's so sweet of you to worry about Chrom," Lissa smiled.

"Worry? Well, I... He's our captain and our prince-of course I'd worry!" Sumia fidgeted.

I wonder what her deal is...

Everyone turned to me. "So, who's the stranger?" Vaike asked.

Lissa gestured grandly towards me. "No one's stranger than you, Vaike... But allow me to introduce Anna! She just joined the Shepherds. Chrom's made her our new tactician. You should see all the tricks she's got up her sleeve!" she said. I gave a slight bow.

Vaike smirked. "Oh yeah? Can she do this?" He let out a large burp.

"I'm sure I have much to learn in the belching arts, 'Teach.' In any case, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintances." I giggled.

Maribelle scoffed. "Ugh, Vaike! That was abhorrent! Must you baseborn pollute even the air with your buffoonery? And you, Anna! Don't encourage him! I'd hoped you were cut from finer cloth. Hmph!" She walked away.

Sumia turned to me. "Don't take it to heart, Anna. Maribelle warms to people slowly," she said in a reassuring fashion.

"Or burns too quickly! Hee hee! But yeah, just give her time," Lissa said. Just then, Chrom walked in.

Sumia immediately brightened. "Ah! Captain! You've returned! I was- I mean, we were so-" She walked towards him, but tripped on nothing, falling flat on her face. She quickly got up and brushed herself off.

"Sumia! Are you all right! Those boots of yours again?" Chrom asked.

"No! I mean, yes! I mean..." Sumia sighed and looked down, embarrassed.

We all turned to Chrom. "All right, listen, everyone: in the morning. We'll be marching to Regna Ferox."

"Regna Ferox?" I asked.

"A unified kingdom to Ylisse's north. Inhabited by barbarians, or so it's said." Sumia answered my question.

"Warriors are what they are. And we'll need their strength to quell this new menace. Typically, the exalt would request such aid in person. But given recent events... Well, the people might worry should my sister suddenly leave the capital. So the task has been passed to us," he said. "Now, this mission is strictly voluntary. So if, for any-"

"I volunteer!" Lissa exclaimed.

"Me too! You'll be Needin' ol' Teach along for such a delicate mission!" Vaike boasted.

"I'll go as well. What I've been here the whole time!" Some voice said. I can't seem to find where it came from, though.

"I... I, I'm..." Sumia hesitated.

"Yes, Sumia?" Chrom asked.

"It's just that... I'm not sure I'm quite ready for a proper mission just yet. I'd probably just get in the way," Sumia muttered.

"Well, you could stay behind the main group, and if a battle is met, just watch and learn? Your choice, of course. But some lessons can only be learned on the battlefield," Chrom said.

Sumia nodded. "W-well, if you think it wise, Captain."

Chrom smiled at her. "Just stay by me and you'll be fine."

Sumia immediately perked up. "Oh, yes! I mean- Yes, sir, I'll do that!" she said, giving a little salute.

Chrom turned to me. "What about you, Anna? I could really use your strategic thinking on this trip." He asked with a smile.

I smiled back at him. "Of course I'll go! You did make me your tactician for a reason right?"

"That's what I thought you'd say. Alright, everyone! Get ready for tomorrow, we have a long march ahead of us. Lissa, tell Miriel about the trip; and Vaike, you tell Stahl. Come, Anna, let's discuss a beginning route for the march." Chrom gestured for me to follow him to a map on a large table. I nodded and followed him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sumia look a bit hurt. I wonder what that's all about?