The Verge of History

"Wait!" I yelled, finally catching up to the group.

Chrom looked back in surprise at me. "Anna!? You followed us! Why?" He asked, his eyes full of concern.

"I...I'm not certain myself. But I'm armed, and I know my way around a fight if you'll have me." I bowed to Chrom.

He nodded. "Of course-strength in numbers. Just stay close... and promise me you'll be careful, I don't want to see you get hurt."

Just then, my vision went white. When it finally returned, I looked around and could see everything. When I look at one of the enemies, I see things like his strength, speed, skill, defense, and more. Whoa, this is weird. What's happening? Have I always been able to do this? My thoughts were immediately cut off as the battle began.

I unsheathed my sword from the hilt on my right. I must be left-handed then. Hmm, what's this? I asked myself as I saw a yellow book on my belt.

Chrom looked at me, his sword at the ready for any enemy that may approach ."So, Anna, I see you wear a sword. Is it - Wait, is that a tome? You know magic?" He asked me.

I scratched my head, contemplating the question. "I... believe so? I suppose I should check..."

"You believe so? Perhaps I'll just keep a few paces behind you for the time being..."

I gave him a reassuring smile. "No, I can control it, I'm sure. Now, how did this work again? Ah, yes..." I said as I read through the book, the letters and words making more and more sense to me. 

Almost as if right on cue, an enemy approaches behind Chrom. "DUCK!" I yelled to him. He immediately ducked down as I sent a lightning bolt at the approaching enemy. Paralyzed in pain and shock, the enemy stops in his tracks; as he does, Chrom quickly gets up and stabs him in the stomach, finishing him off.

"Huh, I guess you can control it just fine," Chrom panted

I smiled back at him, opening my mouth to reply. But before words can come out, I saw movement in the corner of my eye. A brigand wielding an ax was charging towards Lissa! I have to help her! I quickly dashed off to help the healer. I managed to stop him just as he was about to hit her, but I took a pretty nasty blow in the process. I pointed my hand at him and released a lightning bolt. Chrom quickly slashed at him and finished him off.

I'm breathing heavily at this point "Thanks..." I managed.

"Hold still, Anna!" Lissa exclaimed, raising her staff. I'm surrounded by a warm green light that closed my cut instantly.

"Thanks, Lissa!"

"Hehe! No problem, gotta have uses somewhere don't I?" she winked. "And thanks for saving me, by the way. That was really cool of you. Ah, you better get back on the field, don't want to keep you here!" 

I nodded and jumped back into the fray.

After some time and a few dead enemies, Chrom caught up to me. "Still with us, Anna?" he asked.

I thought back at my talent and how I could see everything that is going on. "Hmm... it's strange. Here one the battlefield, I can... Well, I can "see" things."

Chrom gave me a puzzled look. "See things? Like what?"

I looked at the battlefield, activating my strange vision. "The enemy's strength, their weaponry, the flow of the battle... I must have studied it somewhere."

"So, you're saying you can size up the enemy at a glance?"

"Yes, it would seem so. That's odd... maybe if I use it a bit more..."