Day 157

'When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. Utterly amazed, they asked: "Aren't all these who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?"'

Acts 2:1-12

The story of Pentecost tells us about the first time God's spirit was sent upon his disciples. Jesus had promised that the reason he had to die was so that the Holy Spirit could come to them. At the time, his followers didn't really know what that meant. But when it came, it changed their lives. For one minute they were probably just eating and together, the next minute, they could do things that were practically impossible. They could talk in different languages all at once! They could heal people, and show others who God was.

Jesus has promised this spirit for all of us too. It's not just for the disciples at the time. God's Holy Spirit can give the ability to do wonders. God can give you the power to heal, to prophesy, to hear from him. That is why the Holy Spirit is important. That is why Jesus had to go back to heaven, for if he didn't, the Holy Spirit wouldn't come and we wouldn't be able to do those things. Isn't God's way wonderful? Everything has been in his plan, and now we can do amazing things.

So I hope these past few days have helped you to understand what the Holy Spirit is and what it means for us. If you want the Holy Spirit in your life, and haven't asked for it before, or if you know you have asked for it, but you want to ask for it again, in the prayer below you can. The Holy Spirit gives you courage. It makes you strong. It makes you able to do the impossible. It brings about your adoption to sonship. It gives you power. God loves you so much, that's why he has this gift to give you, to do all these things and more. It means that you can have God with you every day, every minute, for the rest of eternity.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Please fill me with your spirit. Make me whole. make me cleans. Give me the power to change the things I want to change and to stand up for what I believe in. Give me the ability to do miracles, Lord. Help me to know that you are my Father, and you will be always.

Amen