Day 110

'Now, Lord God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?"

God said to Solomon, "Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have."'

2 Chronicles 1:9-12

What sort of thing would you really, really, really like to have? A new TV? An iPhone? Money? Loads and loads of friends? A long life? Now think, is that what you actually need? Do you need a lot of money? Do you need to have more friends than you can count? Do you need a new phone if yours is working perfectly fine? There is a fine line between what you want and what you need. As Christians, we could try to distinguish one from the other, and it would help us a lot.

Solomon knew the difference. He knew that when he was asking God for something, he should ask for something he needed, not what he wanted. And yet, because our God is so generous, and so kind, and so wonderful, he gave Solomon what he wanted as well. So maybe we should consider what we are asking for when we are talking to God. If you ask for something that you truly need, he will give it to you, because he knows it will help you.

Take this example: You are getting a job. You think whether to ask God for a job that gives you loads of money, or one where you can be helping others. What do you choose? You choose the one you need - or at least, the one that other people need. You choose the one that helps others. And because you have been wise like Solomon, God gives you lots of money as well with your new job. That is how God will bless us, if we know how to tell what we need from what we want. Maybe it won't happen like how I just described, but he will bless you. God loves you.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you love me. Thank you that you are generous, and kind, and loving. Thank you that you know our greatest desires, and also our greatest needs. Please help me to know the difference between what I want and what I need. Please give me what I need right now.

Amen