Day 184

'If you are wise and understand God's ways, prove it by living an honourable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your heart, don't cover up the truth with boasting and lying. For jealousy and selfishness are not God's kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.'

James 3:13-16

Who here gets jealous? Let's face it: pretty much all of us get envious at some point - some more than others. When your best friend gets a date; when someone gets 100% in the last exam; when your brother gets the latest iPhone - we all feel it. And similarly selfishness - that feeling when you want to get your own way and, even though you know it will affect others, you still go for it. I'm not saying everyone reading this is a selfish brat, just that maybe once or twice we've not considered others and done things only for ourselves.

This passage tells us not to cover up selfishness and envy with boasting and lying. There's no point in pretending to be someone that's not yourself. All of us sin. All of us mess up. But you know what? We have a saviour who has rescued us from sin, and he will redeem us time and time again. So why should we hide from him? Instead, tell Jesus all that mess that is your sin. Tell him about the stuff you've done wrong, when you've been stupid and ignorant. His love never fails. He will rescue. He will redeem. He will save.

So if we try to change jealousy and selfishness to wisdom, then we can live a life that is honourable and for God. Instead of looking at what we don't have, look at how much we have and how little others have, and be generous. Instead of thinking about ourselves, consider others and put them first, and show the world God's love and kindness which he has planted in you. And yes, we will mess up. But we are children of the King, and we will not be stopped by our own sin, for we are redeemed. We are free.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that I am saved. Thank you that you are my redeemer. Thank you for all that I have. Thank you for showing me your kindness and love. Please help me to try not to be selfish and jealous, but to live a life of wisdom for you, Lord Jesus.

Amen