Day 38

'This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father." When their message came to him, Joseph wept.'

Genesis 50:17

One of the biggest things God tells us to do is forgive. Forgiveness is something that is kind of forgotten nowadays. People find it a little strange if you say to them 'I forgive you,' because no-one really says that any more. But God is an all-forgiving God, so why are we not all-forgiving? God forgives us all our sins, so why do we not forgive people for tiny things that we can easily forget?

If someone wrongs us, then why do we take it so much to heart for days afterwards? Why can we not forgive them? That is one of our faults. We feel that forgiving someone is like admitting we're wrong, and so we don't forgive because we feel that it would make us look weak and allow them to go 'free'. Nowadays, we just don't want to forgive anyone, and bear a grudge until the end.

Jesus said that when we pray, we should say: 'Now forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us.' God wants us to forgive others. So why don't you try it? Don't let things build up in your heart until you really don't like someone. Forgive them, and you'll realise that it just made life a whole lot easier. Do what Jesus did, and you will be doing what God wants you to do. It's not hard. Forgive.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Now forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Help us to be able to show others your mercy by being forgiving. Help us not to bear a grudge.

Amen