Day 170

'For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.'

1 Peter 1:18-19

Redeemed. We are redeemed. The dictionary says redeem means 'compensate for the faults or bad aspects of.' But to us, redeemed means so much more. Redeemed means the mercy God has on us. Redeemed means His love. Redeemed means being set free. Redeemed means hope. Redeemed means joy. Redeemed means peace. Redeemed means a new life. Redeemed means a new way. Redeemed means rescue from shame and regret. Redeemed means God has lifted your head and picked you up from sin and hate and fear, and he has carried you along the right path.

The lyrics to a song named 'redeemed' say:

'I am redeemed, You set me free

So I'll shake off these heavy chains

Wipe away every stain, now I'm not who I used to be.'

Isn't that wonderful? This is our God. Jesus wipes away every tear. He picks us up. We can shake off the chains that bear us down and instead of being prisoners, we can be children of the King.

We didn't pay anything to be redeemed. It's not like there is a tax collector asking for gold. It's not like the ways of this world, where people demand and exchange. The only thing that was paid for us to be set free was Jesus' blood. Thanks to him, we have new life. Our God is wonderful. He has redeemed us with the death of his son, so that we can shake of the chains and become his children. Jesus did nothing wrong. We have all sinned, but he was pure and innocent. His blood washed away our sins. We are free.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you have redeemed me. Thank you that you have set me free. Thank you that I am your child. Thank you that you have won the fight against death, against sin, against hurt and fear, against anger and hate. Thank you that you have carried me along the right path.

Amen