Day 84

'When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum. By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them. A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were frightened. But he said to them, "It is I; don't be afraid." Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.'

John 6:16-21

So, apart from being awesome, what does this story actually tell us? Well, first, there's the obvious. Jesus is one pretty amazing guy! I mean, walking on water????!!!!! It's unbelievably incredible. But I'm sure you all knew about how great Jesus is before you even read this story. If I wrote about it, it would just be stating the obvious. So I'll write about something else. I'll tell you how this passage, which simply shows how amazing Jesus is, can relate to us today.

Picture the scene. You are a disciple of Jesus. He is a guy who you know you can trust, but you still don't understand him and everything he says yet. You're out travelling across the lake. It's pitch black. A huge storm rages above you, and the waves are getting choppy. And yet, in the distance, you can see a pale figure walking on the waves towards you. You'd freak out, right? And then the figure gets closer, and you realise it's this guy, Jesus, who you barely know. He gets onto your boat and you immediately arrive at shore. I'm not sure about you, but I know I would be very scared and freaked out. But this is the thing. Jesus crossed those waves and he ended that storm. And he came to join those disciples. He didn't abandon them through the storm. They thought he had, but he was already coming across the waves to get them.

So think about those storms in your life. What are the things that make being a Christian difficult for you? What are the things that make your boat, your stronghold in God, tip and turn? You may not be in a tricky situation now, but I assure you, sometime in the future you will be. And at first, those times may feel like Jesus isn't in the boat with you. Sometimes it might feel like he has abandoned you. But remember this. Jesus will never abandon you. He is already crossing those waters to save you. He's walking over those things that make your stronghold in God rock and turn, and he's coming to enter your boat and to help you arrive at shore.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you are wonderful. Thank you that you are incredible. Thank you that you are crossing those waters to come into my boat and help me to escape the storm. Please cross the waters and sticky situations in my life. Help me to arrive safely at shore.

Amen