Day 171

'The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.'

John 10:10-11

Throughout the bible, whether it be in Psalms or the New Testament, Jesus is described as a shepherd. Not only that, but a good shepherd. Nowadays, the idea of a shepherd is a bit old-fashioned and irrelevant. But to the people who heard Jesus' words, this was relatable. Maybe you'd like to think of Jesus as a farmer or a zookeeper instead.

What are the qualities of a good shepherd? What sort of job requirement would they have? They would have to be brave, for one thing, and powerful. They would have to be protective of the sheep, and always watching over them. They would feed the sheep well and put them in green pastures, and show them the way to live. They would have to be a leader and a teacher. They would need to love and care for their sheep too. And a really, really good shepherd would do anything for his sheep, even if he had to give his own life for them.

All those qualities Jesus has. He is our shepherd, and we are his sheep. All we have to do is trust and have faith in our shepherd, and know that he is doing what is best for us. Jesus will lead us to green pastures and give us water to drink. He will always protect us. There is nothing to fear, for our shepherd with his staff is with us always. He gave his life for us. Isn't he wonderful?

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you are our shepherd. Thank you that you love us more than I can imagine. Thank you that you protect and provide for me. Thank you that you lead and teach me. Please help me to trust you and have faith that you know what is best.

Amen