Day 187

'Then the Lord sent this message through the prophet Haggai: "Why are you living in luxurious houses while my house lies in ruins?'

Haggai 1:3-4

I guess this sounds like a random verse, but the reason I have chosen to use it is because I was flicking through my bible to find the right passage to use for today, and as I glimpsed this one, I really felt God speaking to me. During the period of time when the verse was written, God's people had neglected Him and His temple and sought comfort in other earthly things. And in today's world we don't have a physical temple - but this verse applies to us now more than ever. Because we are God's temple. 1 Corinthians 3:16 says this: 'Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst?'

And I don't know about you, but I think we all are a bit like the people in the book of Haggai. Other things often come between us and God. Stuff like exams, work, stress, money, sex, possessions, obsessions with celebrities and fictional characters (any fan-girls out there?) and many other things. We look to other things for comfort. We sit in our luxurious houses and God's temple in us starts to decay.

So today, if you feel a bit like you have looked to other things for happiness instead of the true joy that comes from God, take a minute to put Jesus back at the top of your priority list. Rebuild God's temple in you. He will always love you, no matter what. And if your faith is really strong at the moment, just remember this for times when you are struggling to put Jesus first in your life, and know that life to the fullest is life with God.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Please help me to keep you at the top of my priority list now and always. Help me to remember that you are all I need, and from you I get true joy and happiness, so I don't have to rely on Earthly things. Please guide me so I know when I start to neglect the temple of your spirit in me.

Amen