Day 169

'Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means "son of Timaeus"), was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"

Jesus stopped and said, "Call him."

So they called to the blind man, "Cheer up! On your feet! He's calling you." Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.

"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him.

The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."

"Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.'

Mark 10:46-52

We are unbelievable lucky. We have a father who loves us in Heaven, and we can live for eternity with him. And our Father is amazing. He can do miracles that to someone who doesn't understand that he is King and he is all-powerful, would seem crazy and unbelievable. Our Father can heal people. He can rescue them from the pain and hurt they are feeling and help them. Jesus gave Bartimaeus the ability to see when he had never seen anything in his whole life. Isn't that amazing? And stuff like that didn't just happen 2000 years ago. It happens now. The Spirit heals people on a day-to-day basis, because nothing is impossible for him.

But to trust that Jesus will heal someone, you need to have faith in him. I know I find that hard, and you might do too. I think one of things we are scared of is being disappointed. What if this doesn't work? What is we put our faith in something that doesn't happen? Will we stop believing in God? Will we doubt him? All of this is the stuff that prevents us from having faith. Not everything will happen first time, that's a fact. But don't just give up. God doesn't forget you, or not bother. Keep on trying and he will do something. In Mark 11:24, it says: 'Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.' Keep on trying. God never fails.

Jesus can make the blind see. Only very few people are blind in the sense that they're eyes fail to work, but there are millions and millions of people out there in spiritual blindness. There are so many people that are blind to God's love, his creation, his mercy, his joy. When you become a Christian, Jesus opens your eyes. He helps you to see the world in a different way. As C.S. Lewis said: 'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.' By God we can see everything else.

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you that you can heal people. Thank you that you will always love me. Thank you that you have opened my eyes and I can see everything. Please give me faith and help me not to doubt. Please........................................................... (Say something which you would like to happen in your life, or someone else's, and believe it will happen.)

Amen