Chapter 71

"Stay at your best, baaaby." I express the last line of the song for the 5th time after hours of hearing playbacks, do-overs, selections, like wow, this is actually a bit tedious, but more or less shows me just how much of a perfectionist I am.

Chandler always said so but I never really saw it until now.

My voice is still good, more laid back than I originally thought but funnily enough I'm sort of proud of it. At least it's not a disaster. Every time it played back to me I was almost stunned that it was me singing.

"Like that one?" Alistair calls through the speaker to me so I can hear back prior to nodding.

I'd like to say I was such a great person and gave him some slack but honestly, I was so dead set this entire time to get everything exact he hasn't had much room to cut corners.

While I've been taking breaks and staying hydrated, keeping everything going smoothly on my end, he's been bit by bit making up the track to add towards the end result and I think we have about 2 hours or less to finish up.

Meaning I've been in here for almost 4 hours.

Thankfully it hasn't been non-stop vocalization and all that but I'm not used to doing anything like this. Endurance is on my side, I'm a trooper but this is like a 180 switch from my normal endeavors. It's sort of nice. I didn't think I'd like it this much.

"Ok. I'm just sewing together the sections now. I'm gonna overlap your extra vocalizing and we can start adding on whatever you like. The basic backdrop music is there so I'll have it done for you just depending on when you're satisfied with it." My fast friend who is completely at ease and thankfully so patient informs me that the hard part is over. "You can come out of the booth now. We just need to chillax and play around. Not with each other obviously."

"Good. I don't take kindly to abuse." I put up the earphones and hear Logan laughing at me before I join them in the less stuffy room with what feels like processed fresh air delight.

"Have fun?" My friend leans and takes another drink of his coffee.

"Yeah. Lots. Thank you Alistair." I acknowledge him because really, this seems like a huge job; I don't see why he keeps on saying it's a piece of cake.

Maybe just because he does it all the time or loves it, who knows?

"Did you want something to eat? Drink? We have a really good cafeteria." I turn towards my childhood companion since ages that's standing up to stretch a little, his shoes off and coat laid out beside his spot.

"I'll take the tacos and Seven Up." This guy beside me makes an order while I ponder a moment.

"Pizza if they have any. And I'm good with water." I lift my bottle.

"All right. I'll be back." Logan leaves, shutting the door and letting the place settle to just me and this stranger that I've known for a few hours.

I have to say, without Chandler included, this has been one of the most surreal days I've had in my life.

"You know." Alistair turns to me. His demeanor a little puzzled and hesitant to speak which is sort of making me nervous. "You're actually a-- pretty damm, fvcking good singer. Like, I'm on the real; you know you got some pipes, right?" He side-glances as if he can't deal with me being even the slightest bit oblivious.