Chapter 39

"Sage!" Logan's voice interrupts my jog, the wind blowing pretty bad making it more painful to just stay out here, but I couldn't stop running once I'd started. I needed to get my breathing going so I didn't feel so suffocated the rest of the day.

Slowing down the closer I get to my friend, I approach him when his coat collar flies up to hood his neck, blue eyes squinting a tiny bit when my long, free hair, blows right by.

"Care to explain?" He widens his eyes.

"Explain what?" I rub at my arms so I can fend off the chattering teeth I'm going to get. "What's wrong?"

"You skipped class? Sage, I don't think I have to tell you that with all your doing now, your mother shouldn't be called to school."

"Oh! Yeah." Boy, when I clear my head I really skip over some major details. "Sorry. I wasn't feeling well."

"Well enough to run track. In the cold?" He smiles at me. "This is odd. Lecturing you like this."

"That's right." I tilt my head. "You've never done that before." I wonder how he manages to pull that off when I can't even keep from jumping down Chandler's throat every time he says something I disagree with.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong now? You've been moping since yesterday." Logan's British accent comes clear as always, but I'm not sure I want to grace it with an answer like I'd usually do. Talking openly.

Nah. I don't want to.

But, Logan's closer to me than both Josh and Reen put together so I think if I'm going to feel better soon, it'd be with his support.

"I'm having trouble with somebody. Chandler."

"Chandler." He muses right away. "Something really bad then?"

"We're not speaking."

"Hm. That's a measure all right. I don't think you've ever really told me that much about him in the first place. Is he some top secret that you don't want the world to know about or, something else?"

"He is top secret concerning dad." I don't think it's a good idea to enlighten Logan that my father is trying to pair us both together, that'd probable make things all the more strange, but instead, I'd rather just go inside. "Apparently my dad doesn't like his dad, for some reason."

"Therefore he doesn't like Chandler. You've turned into a rebel Sage. Lying to your mother and now being friends with someone you're father doesn't like. But you're not talking now. Why?"

"Because Chandler's a child."

"That's something I didn't think you'd say." Logan laughs at me when he pulls off both his gloves and hands them over when I see a small glimmer of white pass in front of me, a speck falling here and there in my view before I notice it's snowing all around us.

The first snow fall of the year.

"You know you could lend me a jacket? Be a gentleman?"

"It's not my fault you came out here unprepared. Oh, it's too bad though. I'm really starting to sweat." His hands touch at his neck when I jaw drop before attacking him, my arms swinging to hit his chest but Logan's already grabbing my waist so I sway over the ground and smile up at the sky, giving up and laughing instead. "Snowing again."