Chapter 35

"We don't have to stay there long. I just wanted to spread my wings a bit is all. This place is dead and it's really hard to sort of adjust given Vegas was poppin' all the time. At least the parts I went to." Chandler hops up over the cement before getting in the car, my thumbs texting Reen that we'll be at the house soon.

It belongs to a person I barely know but from what I remember they were always nice to me. I really don't want to go to any parties any more. All summer I've been exhausting myself doing the same sh1t every week, it's very trying.

Josh made most of it bearable, as well as Reen but in the end I preferred quiet nights.

"Who are you texting? Your mom? Is she still pissed?"

"Nah." I shrug up my shoulder. "She gets over these things for a while because she thinks she has a solution for them. I feel bad for her but not that bad. Anyway, I'm texting Reen. The party's already started and she wants me to hurry."

"Tch." Chan scoffs before picking at the bottom of his boot.

"What?" My phone slides back into my jean pocket.

"Weeeell. I'm just wondering why you're friends with her. Is it like, convenient or-"

"No. No. No. Uh, Reen is legit. She's not that cliche' weird friend on the side." Back up. "Well, ok maybe she is," I look up to the sky and feel a shiver run over my hands making them look extra pale right now. "She's a bit of a mess but, she's solid."

"Right."

"What about you? Trey? Are you really friends?" I lean down on my door, the window rolled down and top up so I relax and see Chandler clearly when he holds his breath and puffs up his cheeks for a second.

"I think of him more like...a pet."

"You are heartless."

"I know." He grins at the floor before looking at me again, my eyes studying when his strong blue ones shift to a distance behind me. "Sh1t."

"What?"

"Get in the car." Chandler's voice becomes quicker when he pops open my door and slides his seat belt on.

What's his problem? What's he looking at?

From what I can see...just a small group of guys that don't even see us. They can't be much older than me. Maybe even younger.

"Do you know them?"

"Just get in the fvcking car!!"

"Okay!" I automatically speak back but my eyes must be wide given how shocked I am right now, what the heIl? "Geez."

"Hurry, hurry, hurry! Come on!" Chandler's body mannerisms just yell how anxious he is given he can't sit still and he's on the edge of his seat, my keys turning the car on before I put it in reverse and try to drive as safely as possible while satisfying Chan's...really fvcking weird demands.

Before another minute we're traveling towards the main road leaving that small group of strangers heading towards the party with plenty of time for me to figure out what the heck that was all about.

A quick press of a button and the top starts to come over when I roll our windows up and silence is attained, Chandler heaving out a breath of relief with his eyes shut and head back.