46. It's good to see you smiling again

// Ross POV //

Over the last week or so, Cleo completely shut down. The hate only got worse, the 'fans' started to hate on me too. Whereas I could deal with it, Cleo couldn't. She stopped performing and didn't get out of bed until 12pm most days. We had one more week of touring before we got a week off for Christmas. Cleo's sister and mum were coming over for a week to celebrate with us all. Mine and Cleo's 20th birthdays were also coming up, so we were having a joint party in our new band house in L.A.

I reached my hand into her bunk and pulled back the curtain.

"Cleo, get up," I told her. I didn't even bother to try and coax her out, I just grabbed her arm and give it a tug.

"No," she moaned, snatching her arm back and rolling over.

I sighed and rested my elbow on the edge of her bunk.

"Cleo, I get that these haters are really getting to you, but you gotta snap out of this. It isn't healthy to shut yourself down."

Now it was her turn to sigh. "You don't get it."

"Yes I do. They hate on me too. But you didn't realise, because you've been so wrapped up in yourself."

I didn't mean to offend her, and luckily she didn't take any offence.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realise. I guess I have only focused on myself."

She sat up and reached out to give me a hug.

"It's okay. But you're getting up and exploring with us today."

I walked into the bathroom to get myself ready. By the time I was back, Cleo was dressed and was just finishing straightening her hair. I was glad to see that she'd actually made an effort. She normally just wore sweats and an old t-shirt. Today, she was wearing dark blue skinny jeans, and a grey R5 sweater. Well, it was an improvement. I grabbed my bright yellow penny board before linking arms with Cleo and heading out to the others.

We headed out into the city, walking along the streets to the square with Rydel, Riker, Rocky, Ryland, Ellington and Savannah. Mum and dad had gone off by themselves somewhere. The boys had their skateboards too and we were racing along in front of the girls.

Before long, we reached a park. Rydel pulled her bright pink penny board out of her backpack and grabbed onto Ellington's hand to support herself. Savannah and Cleo went to get everyone hot chocolates. We stopped racing each other on the skate ramps and went to grab one when the girls came back.

"Having fun?" Cleo asked me when I collapsed next to her on a bench.

"Yeah," I said breathlessly.

She reached out her free hand and straightened my beanie. We finished our drinks so I got up to go put the empty takeaway cups in the bin. When I got back, Cleo asked me if she could have a go on my penny board.

"Sure."

I steadied the board with my foot whilst she stood on it. I held her two hands in mine and took my foot off.

"Woah!" She exclaimed as the board rolled a little bit.

"Don't do anything, I'll just pull you along," I told her. I started to gently pull her arms and the board started to roll over the pavement. Once she was used to it, I taught her how to do it by herself.

"Ready?" I asked Cleo.

She nodded as she used her foot to move the board. She balanced herself before toppling forward and landing on the floor. She laid on her side.

"Cleo, are you alright?" I called whilst running over to her. I thought she was crying at first, but she was actually laughing. She rolled over onto her back, spread out across the pavement.

"Hahahahaha," she laughed hysterically.

She was now rolling over the floor, laughing like crazy. It was hard not to laugh with her.

"Cleo, you need to get up. Your rolling all over a public pavement. People are starting to stare," I said, biting my lip in an attempt not to laugh. I failed and let out a small chuckle. She eventually used my arm to help herself up. I picked up my penny board and took her hand.

"It's good to see you smiling again," I told her as she sent me a shy smile.

Sorry if this chapter was bad, it's kinda like a little filler.