An Unwrappable Gift (Riku)

✎Authoress's Noteღ✎: Hello there and Merry Christmas! This is actually a sort of Christmas story trade with Axel8xiii who wrote me a Leon fic that I should really go read now! Either way, I hope everyone enjoys the read!~

"There are some gifts out there that just can't be wrapped."

The entire mall of Destiny Island was filled to the brim with more people than you had ever seen. They came by gummi ship, by plane, by boat- the island had been flooded by tourists.

All for one reason.

Destiny Island's exclusive, special-edition, Santa's Little Moogle Amiibo.

You personally didn't understand what it was about the small figurines that sent gamers and collectors into a giant fuss. Yet, surely enough, they were. Among a crowd of fanatics, you had one sole mission. To get the special Amiibo for a certain overly competitive best-friend of yours. You would never understand how Sora's offhanded mention of his 'impressive' Amiibo collection would start Riku's collection- a collection that now included a number of limited edition figurines in mint condition. They sat safely in a secret shelf hidden within his closet, which you had seen once or twice.

It was both impressive and disturbing, though it was Christmas Eve and it would have been a cardinal sin for you to walk out of this mall empty handed tonight. After all, it was the only one that it would have been impossible for Riku to have. It came out today after all and last you heard Riku was visiting family somewhere in Midgar for the holidays- there was no way he was back. Kairi had told Sora in advance of your plan to get Riku the limited edition figurine for Christmas, so while the cheery brunette accompanied you for his own sake, he wasn't going to get in the way of your mission.

Even if you were feeling suffocated in the tiny mall overly filled with a combination of busy last minute shoppers and awaiting fanatics that had a thirst far mightier than yours. No (Name)! You're going to do this, and you're going to make Riku pass out at your intense gift giving skills! The fiery aura around you easily matched the determination of the fanatics around you.

You also may or may not have had a slight competitive streak. It'd been something you did with Riku year after year in the spirit of Christmas really. It all came down to who could get the better gift for the other person. Often, the competition ended in a tie, but you had nothing that you could want the same way that Riku wanted this Amiibo. He had even tried to convince his parents to let him stay back on Destiny Islands for the holidays. You were going to win this, and he had to be happy since he was going to be able to get his hands on the Santa's Little Moogle Amiibo after all. In your eyes, it was a win-win situation.

"Uhh (Name)?" Sora pulled at your sleeve, but you were too preoccupied staring at the door of the video-game store, knowing that you would have to defy the laws of Physics to even get in there and get an Amiibo in the first place. But if everyone else can defy the laws of physics with their hair then I can do it to get Riku this gift!

"(Name)?"

I mean they can't possibly run out of stock that quickly and tell everyone else 'tough luck' can they? They wouldn't really make it that exclusive.

"(Name)? What are you doing here?"

That voice. It couldn't be...

Your determination crumbled just as quickly as you summoned it, an empty feeling settling in the pit of your stomach instead.

"R-Riku?!" Your stutter earned you a raised brow from the silver-haired boy in front of you. "I thought you were in Midgar with your family?"

"We cut it short since the pollution was starting to wear on mom's health. I certainly didn't complain." Riku's sly smirk was smug as ever as he crossed his arms over his chest and nodded his head towards the game store. "So Sora, I bet you thought that you were going to have an advantage over me since I wouldn't be here to get the new, limited edition Amiibo."