Chapter 33 - All is revealed.

Then he felt an unusual sensation in his throat. He opened his mouth, gasping for breath, and more lava fell in. Then he breathed out and back in again.

The lava circulated…He was breathing!

Then suddenly he felt full of energy, his mind raced like a thousand cars.

He opened his eyes, and all he could see was orange. He looked up, and somehow he could make out a black square, with four heads inside, above him through the lava.

He concentrated hard on the doorway and took in a humungous gulp of hot, orange liquid. He felt like he was the whole pit of lava, he felt every bubble that popped as it met the surface.

Then he urged himself upwards. He heard a rumble, and the volcanic liquid seemed to react to his command.

He shot out of the lava like a rocket. The lava spurting behind him, and then it suddenly solidified. The lava froze creating a platform for Jay to stand on.

He felt full of energy, and had to let it go. He willed the lava upwards.

Five spirals of lava erupted from the pool, shot upwards, then descended beautifully, making no splashes at all as it regained its source - just like the water/fire in the hexagonal chamber.

 Jay took another gasp, and the unusual feeling in his throat disappeared. He felt oxygen push out the heat from his lungs, and his enormous amount of energy dissolved into reality.

He looked down and nearly fainted. He was stood on a very thin stick of solidified lava, a kilometre up at least. Directly above stood his four friends, mouths wide open in awe.

“Holy Hephaestus,” Hollie exclaimed.

“Help,” Jay shivered.

“Really?” Broudie’s eyes widened.

“Yeah, I don’t like heights.”

“Gods, how did you do that?” Claire questioned.

“That was amazing,” Jordan agreed.

“I need to get across.” Jay looked down terrified. Somehow the lava was still responding to him. Small trickles of lava were floating upwards, pushing him closer to the gap like he was on some sort of elevator.

He stood as still as a statue as he was lifted through the gap by the tower of solidifying lava.

“I really don’t like heights.” Jay jumped onto the icy floor.