Chapter 27 - The sirens go off.

“HOLLIE?” a voice called from the endless tunnel.

“Jordan?” Claire leant forward to see if she could see him clinging onto the edge.

“FALL! THE ENTRANCE IS DOWN HERE, QUICKLY I THINK THE HOLE IS FILLING BACK UP AGAIN!” Jordan shouted.

The rocks and dirt, as Jordan warned, seemed to be floating upwards and rejoining the ground which they stood on, closing the gap.

“The entrance is down there, we need to go down there,” Hollie instructed frantically.

“Ladies first is what only a gentlemen would say, and right now, I am.” Broudie stepped back.

“Right I’ll go first, hurry behind else you’ll be trapped above ground and then eaten by those stupid tree monsters.” Hollie bent her knees and then sprang into the air, descending into darkness.

“C’mon Jay.” Claire leapt off the edge, squealing as she fell.

“Let’s go,” Broudie told, running past Jay and bombing down as well.

Jay took one last look behind him at the old, scraggily trees with their deep yellow eyes, and then jumped, squeezing through a tiny gap. His heart was beating fast as he zoomed down into darkness. Above was only a small dot of white light, which eventually disappeared.

Air was rushing past his ears as he plummeted down the hole, they were popping more than popcorn in the sun.

Then he heard Jordan’s voice,

“Jay, Claire, Broudie, are all of you here.” Jay looked down and could make out two small torches lighting up some small faces.

“Claire, Broudie, where’s Ja-”

Jay stopped inches away from the floor as the air suddenly froze and his stomach launched forward in a churning, super-queasy jolt.

A second later, he hit the ground.

“Now there’s the problem with that spell, it breaks your fall so you don’t die, but then drops you so as you break your nose.” Jay heard Broudie moaning as usual.

“Jay, are you alright.” Hollie picked Jay off the floor, presuming it was Hollie as all he could see was two face lit by the torches.

“Where are we?” Jay asked.

“We’re in the temple, the temple of Barthimia,” Hollie announced excitedly and still on a high from the action.