Chapter 10 - Taking a plunge.

Jay continued his search, even though he didn’t know what he was searching for. Then, after a minute of looking, he came across a long, thin sword that had a light brown handle with strips of dark brown patterned inside. He stopped in front of the sword and stared at it for a few minutes, then Jay heard the same voice in his head that he had heard once before, the same one that told him to use the control spell.

“This is the one,” The voice spoke slowly.

Jay smiled at the ceiling and then picked up the sword.

“That the one? You choose?” Hollie asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Have you ever had any God or Goddess speak to you, I know I have, but only a few times. See, they aren’t meant to talk to us really.”

“Yeah, I have, told me to use this,” Jay replied, holding up the sword in his hands.

“Use it, always listen to the gods, it shows respect. And they’re like always right,” she told him.

“Oh, Jay. If you’re taking a sword you’re going to need this.” Jordan chucked a coiled leather band over to Jay.

He caught it and unwravelled the belt.

“Thanks, well seeya in a second.” Jay pocketed his sword, which slipped perfectly into its holder hanging from his new belt which fitted perfectly around his waist. He strolled out of the weapon room, out of the temple, and into the field.

Then he checked his watch, which had also been miraculously salvaged from the care home and teleported into his bedside drawer, and realised that he still had ten minutes left till he had to meet everyone at the entrance. What to do?

“Y’alright Jay.” Broudie shouted from the foot of mount Mouvast.

“Yeah, you got your weapons?”

“Gods, I had them ready the night I got chose.” Broudie replied, now close enough to talk without shouting and to decipher the details of each other’s weapons.

Broudie had a red-tinged, black shield, which was really scary, sticking out from his backpack and a fat sword stuck in his belt with a matching red-ish black handle.

“What do we do now we’ve got everything?”

“Dunno, I reckon we should go to the entrance. Are you excited?” Broudie questioned, as they made their way around the mountain and towards the giant banner.

“And nervous, nobody here has ever been on a quest have they?”

“No, the nearest we got to a quest was when I joined, Athena told us that we should seek out demi-gods and try to explain the situation with the monsters. They never believed the gods. I mean why would they listen to us?”

“About what?”

“About the monsters escaping Tartarus. They think if they turn a blind eye they can just keep living their boring lives!”

“Oh, right. So no one has any experience in this type of thing whatsoever?”

“Amy’s the one with the most experience at being a sorceress, but she’s never really done a quest either. She once said to us that the world is full of monsters and that we don’t even know it. She said all animals in the world were Greek myths but they were accepted into the world. Whatever that means.”