Chapter 32 - Sliding into a hot death.

The bubble somehow popped and they were left once again, unprotected.

The ground that they were stood on, whether they were still on the staircase or not, suddenly disappeared and the five teenager’s free-fell. This was beginning to be a constant occurrence.

Jay held tightly to his shield and to his sword, which was pocketed in his belt. He had lost grip of Hollie when the floor had gone, and he couldn’t see or hear anyone.

His heart raced and his body tightened. All his nerves had shut down, he could feel, see, smell, taste, hear…nothing.

Silence overwhelmed their fear. He couldn’t even scream. All he could do was fall.

Then he collided into something soft and fluffy, like a giant bag of wool.

It was so soft, like a marshmallow pond.

He sprung upwards like he was on a trampoline, then come back into contact with the fluffy bed.

“Whoa,” he heard Claire say.

He didn’t want to open his eyes. He thought may be if he just stayed there and didn’t look up, then he wouldn’t have to fight anyone anymore, and he could just lie there forever.

“Jay,” Jordan whispered to him, as he patted him on the shoulder. He raised his head, unwillingly, and opened his eyes.

“Wow.” He was lost for words. The place was amazing.

He was stood on clouds surrounded with clear blue skies - it was like a dream.

In the centre was a ladder. It lead upwards, dissolving into blue as it reached the top. The other end lead down through the white fluffy clouds.

“Are we dead?” Jay asked.

“I doubt it, seems as there’s no such thing as heaven and hell it’s Hades all the way. Fields of punishment, Fields of asphodel or wherever that other place is for the heroes.” Hollie went into a bit more depth than he’d thought, squinting her eyes now and again from the pain in her leg.

“You’d think they’d make this temple a bit less luxurious, it’s like a five star magic hotel,” Claire said.

“Yeah, and the cleaners shoot fireballs at you, punch you up and sing you to death,” Hollie added sarcastically.

“Which way now then?” Jay questioned, pulling himself to his feet and taking deep breaths to try and reclaim his calm attitude.