Chapter 16 - The dreaded beep.

She led them down the corridor, up some stairs and into the small, moving queue.

“Let’s get ready to rumble,” Hollie sang.

“I’ve never flown before,” Jay said.

“Well I doubt any of us have, ya know, being in a foster home you don’t exactly take a group holiday to Turkey,” Claire said.

When they got to the man at the entrance, they had their tickets checked and were waved along through the tunnel.

“Isn’t it exciting?” Jordan said, skipping down in front of them.

“For you, yes, for me nu-u-oh,” Claire commented.

“You’ll probably like it. It’s fine,” Broudie assured.

“And when have you ever flown on an aeroplane?” Claire asked.

“Never, just trying to be nice,” Broudie laughed.

“Thanks, but it doesn’t suit you,” Claire said.

They strolled down the tunnel and reached the entrance to the plane. There was a small gap between the entrance and the tunnel, all you could see was gravel and a small man wearing an orange waistcoat walking around with a clipboard in his hands. They stepped over the gap and showed their tickets to the air hostess, who pointed to their seats.

“Just over there,” she directed, waving her arm down the isle randomly. ‘I mean, its obvious we have to walk that way! Thanks for the help!’ Jay thought as he passed the foundation-plastered doll of a hostess.

“Thanks,” Jordan responded.

The five jewel seekers walked down the isle of the plane, searching left to right for their seats. The chairs were all facing one direction, were coloured royal blue and had small beige trays that flipped down from them.

It was very quiet, apart from the small mutterings from the seats beside them. Above, there was hand luggage, stuffed ‘carefully’ in the lockers. There was overhead air conditioning, with little slide along buttons beside.

The plane itself stretched far, not a mile, but not the length of a car. It was a while till Broudie spotted their numbers stuck onto the side of the luggage storing units.

“Look, thirty one,” he blurted.

“C’mon then, who wants to sit where? And be quick because there are some people coming down this way,” Hollie instructed. Broudie shuffled down the a-b-c row to the left, and Jay followed. At the end nearest the isle, was Jordan, leaving Claire and Hollie.