Last Night (Chapter 29)

A wave of reality, the wisp of the surroundings that made her eventually fall to the ground.

She took a breath that hitched.

And there had been a dark ceiling.

"Ghnn..." A groan escaped her lips.

Her torso had been stuck in time, and despite her vision fading in and out, she willed herself to glance down at her body.

"Augh... Kuso..." She muttered a curse as she laid her gaze on the bandages that had chained around her body.

But there had been another thing that embraced her.

Even in the darkness, she could tell that cold touch had been from the stoic maid.

"Needle...?" A weak voice escaped her lips, but the sheer closeness of the other girl made her express her confusion regardless.

The space of the limousine had been vast, yet the maid had curled into her body.

What in the world was she doing?

Had this just been a way of her getting warmth? Needle's fingertips had been cold, after all. Yet, she didn't seem uncomfortable with that temperature.

Right. Needle had been a wind spirit, she probably doesn't have any internal heat.

But she still bleeds and has flesh.

Daisuke observed the injuries that she sustained, barely being patched up.

Compared to her, Daisuke's body had been well nursed.

What were they thinking?

It made her grip their fist closed from the realization that they put Daisuke above Needle, yet she understood the logic behind it.

Their injuries had been night and day, even if she wanted them to be fair.

With a wind that passed through the window, Needle's unconscious body nuzzled closer onto Daisuke.

Daisuke, of course, flinched at the sudden snuggle and heated up from the physical touch.

"Don't blush too much, you'll start bleeding again." Needle's eyes shot wide open and immediately spoke a snarky remark about Daisuke.

The other girl opened their dry mouth to react, but got cut off by the Maid.

"Silence. Don't exert too much energy. I assume you just woke up?" Needle's monotonous way of speaking had revealed itself again, despite the fact that her head had been on Daisuke's shoulder.

"Yeah... Where are we right now?"

"Inside the limousine in the middle of nowhere. We were trying to locate Atheleme and the twins."

"That's good. So, uh, why are you clinging to me again?"

A beat of silence came from Needle.

"I... I do not know. It must have been on instinct." Needle turned to the side, her gaze being directed at somewhere else.

"You're awful at trying to lie, which is ironic because you constantly look dead."

Daisuke sighed.

"Come on. I can't even move if I wanted to. Could I at least understand what you're thinking for once?"

As logical as Needle was, oftentimes there are some moments of pure chaotic energy that she brings that she wouldn't expect from someone as meticulous as her.

"Very well." Needle cleared her throat.

"I think I am... Worried about your well being. I couldn't help but try my best to nurse you with all that I could, in such a desperate manner."