Wild Cards (Chapter 27)

“Shit, she’s getting chased. We can’t use the guns with that metal around her.” Ophelia clicked her tongue as she gripped the rifle on her hand.

“We could use a rocket launcher or something, but that would hit Needle and Daisuke too.” Ophelia huffed and lowered her weapon as she turned towards Rairi.

“Mhm. Also, the moment she notices that we’re here, I think she would also attack us.” Rairi kept her gaze that had been enhanced by the goggles that she had created.

“Huh? Also attack us? But we’re so far away.”

“There is no reason to believe that her blades have a distance limit.”

Rairi’s words left Ophelia in the cold realization that they could have certainly made themselves known just from a single bullet. Just from the size of that hurricane of blades and the speed it went towards Needle who had already been a fast Wind Spirit with all of her might, clearly this woman was something they shouldn’t mess with.

“Alright.” Ophelia took a deep inhale and nodded to herself before she glanced over at Rairi.

“I know you just said that, but I think we should at least shoot her. You said earlier her wings are severely damaged, right? We still need both of them to be able to escape. With how they are going at the moment, especially with Daisuke’s body, I don’t think they are able to outrun her.”

Needle is doing well being able to deflect literal rain of bullet hell blades towards her and an unconscious body, but she was getting injured by each second too. Even before they reached the edge of this mansion, eventually her body was going to give up.

“How are we going to do that?” Rairi fiddled with her sleeves as she stared over at Ophelia.

“First, we need to find an escape path for us.” 

“Didn’t we already have that in the plan? We use the potions and go through that path we scouted before we came here.” Rairi’s drones had been fairly useful for that, and at the current moment her almost perfect memory came handy as well.

“Great. After what we do, we run out of here and immediately go to our inn, alright? This has to happen fast.” Ophelia stood up and placed both of her hands on top of Rairi’s shoulders.

They have to play dirty and do everything they can to let everyone survive this.

They don’t know where Atheleme and the twins went, but as they were heavily injured, it was clear to say that they weren’t in a good spot either.

On top of this tower, they were the only ones injured and able to think properly.

Ophelia wasn’t going to let this go so soon, especially since she agreed to this plan despite the many attempts of Daisuke to tell them against it.

“O-Okay. What’s the plan?” Rairi froze up and stared at Ophelia’s darkened state.

What might happen could be overkill, but it was to protect the others.

This plan won't kill that Devil.

Of course.

Heavy breaths, salt inside her tongue, and her grip on Daisuke’s body eventually slipping.

Signs of stamina depletion, yet there was another underlying emotion that she didn’t understand.

Was this just a physical reaction or was she actually feeling something at this moment?

Normally people would feel fear.

Certainly, there was a sign of that, yet there had been another thing she couldn’t pinpoint.