NINETY SIX

November, '91

Since moving in with James Roberts, Anne did not see Remus as much as she felt she should. It was too far, she was too busy, there was always an excuse. When she expressed this to James he said he'd take her the 'wizard' way. Apparating was a sensation she had never felt before, and that she was so sure she never wanted to feel again, that she had purchased return train tickets for the day after. The village seemed small to her now, London life suited her and she watched her father take in her horses from the distance. Her family had never been great to her, for the last few years, Remus had been more family to her.

Her heart fell as she approached his house, she saw the side of it was crumbling a little, and the grass was overgrown. She shivered as she walked, but saw him sat on his porch in only a tshirt, smoking a cigarette. She'd not seen him since August and was sure that he looked older, there were scratches down his arm that she hadn't seen before and he certainly looked thinner.

"Remus," she called out.

He broke into a grin at the sight of his friend, and quickly conjured a jumper over his arms, not wanting her to worry. He felt her stiffen as they hugged and wondered if he really felt that much thinner. He glanced around, embarrassed at the state of his house as they turned the kettle on. Anne's father had told him he didn't need him anymore, after Anne left, so he had very little money. He had began apparating to various villages and stealing from stores. He was disgusted with himself, but what choice did he have?

"Remus," she said again, in a pitying tone. "Are you alright?"

He tried his hardest to smile sincerely, "of course, Annie. Just been a bit under the weather."

"We have a spare room," she said quietly. "Now that Juliet moved out... You could come?"

He shook his head and leant back into his armchair, "nah, London isn't for me. I'm happy up here."

"It was you who wanted London in the first place, Remus. Don't lie to me."

He huffed a little, "stop fussing. I'm fine. I'm happy. How are you? How's Roberts? How's the new job?"

Anne smiled in spite of herself, and Remus grinned back. She looked different, her hair was neat, and she wore fancy clothes. She was smart. It only made him feel more self-conscious. 

"I met her," she said, meeting her friend's eye. "I met Juliet."

Remus' eyes widened a little.

"How- how was she?"

"She's incredible," Anne sighed. "I completely understand why you were so ridiculously besotted, why she's occupied your thoughts for ten years."

Remus nodded and sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Everyone occupies my thoughts, not just her."

"She's lovely," Anne confirmed. 

"She was nice to you?" Remus asked, dwelling on the Juliet Romilly he initially knew as a fifth year, who couldn't stand the thought of a muggle.

"She was. Very. I hope I'll see her again."

Remus nodded thoughtfully and smiled. Hearing that she was well made his day a little better.

"Where is she working?"

"Not sure, James doesn't tell me either. Apparently she doesn't want it common knowledge, or something."

"Ah, right."

"Told me I remind her of an old friend of hers, Marlene..."

"Marlene McKinnon," Remus breathed, smiling to himself remembering how he had thought the exact same thing about Anne the first time he had met her.