FOURTY

Sirius Black frequently pestered Juliet about his brother in the build up to her OWLs, whether it be after her quidditch practices, whilst she was in the library or in potions, or via Remus Lupin when the two patrolled together. The witch was becoming quite an expert at ignoring both Gryffindors, focusing on herself and not Regulus.

A week before the OWL examinations were due to begin, Regulus Black strolled into the great hall with a wide grin on his face. In his hand were two letters, one titled 'Regulus Black', and the other 'Juliet Romilly'.

"Good news," he said to his friend as he sat down beside her.

"What is it?" 

"Read what your father says first."

Juliet huffed and tore open the envelope, scanning it quickly.

"He says that we will summer at your house in France," she said. "And that he has good news for me-"

"Oh! We're summering there too!" Ophelia exclaimed, smiling at Juliet. Since the two girls' conversation in May, Ophelia Rosier had started to go to lessons again and was back on track to receive top grades in her examinations. Juliet was happy for the witch and was surprised that she had managed to revert to her old self without being too irritating. The two had not spoken about the dark mark again, and the witch suspected that they never would.

"Not now, Ophelia," Regulus snapped to the girl who deflated a little as he spoke.

"Don't be rude," Juliet said sharply.

The boy rolled his eyes and clutched her hand, "my parents say we can marry!" He exclaimed.

"I- what?"

"I've been secretly working on them letting us!"

"I thought that after Easter..."

"No, Jules! Isn't this great."

"... can we talk outside?" The girl asked quietly, glancing at Lucius Malfoy who was watching the two intently.

Regulus stiffened a little but nodded and pulled himself off the bench before offering his hand to help Juliet up.

"They're getting married," Sirius muttered to the marauders, nodding in the direction of where Juliet was briskly walking out of the hall.

"What?" Remus asked quickly.

"Andy told me..."

"How does she know?" James asked, a confused expression on his face.

"Her and Cissa still speak," Sirius whispered.

"Really?" Peter asked.

"Why would she marry him?" James asked, his face scrunched up. "I thought she wanted out."

"He's protection," Sirius shrugged.

"Juliet told me that Narcissa doesn't have the dark mark because she's marrying Lucius," Remus said suddenly.

"Exactly," the boy nodded.

"I doubt she'd have had much choice in the matter, anyway," Lily muttered.

"There's no getting out if she marries him," Remus said absentmindedly.

"No there isn't, Moony."

Juliet didn't speak to Regulus until they were far away enough from the castle that she was sure that they were not being listened to.

"You told me you didn't want me to live this life!" She shouted at him suddenly.