SEVENTY TWO

Christmas '78

Dear Juliet,

Juliet Romilly smiled to herself as she read over a letter received on the 20th December from Lily Evans. She and James Potter were marrying early, it was all "horribly disorganised" as the witch had put it, but apparently danger was increasing and the marauders were constantly separated and all the pair wanted was to be husband and wife. It was to be a small affair, she said, nearest and dearest and trusted friends only, with the location secret. She'd arranged for Juliet and Arabella to be allowed there, though, and had written to Professor Mcgonagall and Dumbledore specially, begging them to let the girls floo from the castle to Godric's Hollow.

Arabella scrunched up her nose when Juliet told her the news, "Merlin, why on earth is everyone getting bloody married. First Narcissa-"

"I doubt she had much choice, Bella," Juliet said, rolling her eyes at her friend as they sat in their dorm.

"She's always loved Lucius," Arabella scoffed. "You probably had less choice with Reg-"

"Narcissa has always helped and protected me," she said stiffly. "And she loves Lucius, I don't love Regulus. Anyway, if I'd completed my task, I'm sure I would also be married by now. James and Lily deserve to be happy."

"Marriage isn't happiness."

Juliet smiled at her friend, "ah, that's your pureblood prejudice coming through. A true Slytherin. They've been raised knowing marriage means love, for us it means duty."

"For me it meant marrying a man," Arabella giggled. "Merlin, remember when they were trying to set me up with Barty."

Juliet rolled her eyes and said nothing for a moment, "they're brave, I think. Marrying during a war."

"Yeah, you're right, when did you get so romantic, Romilly?"

The witch only laughed and lay back on her bed, eyes closed and smiling to herself.

New Years Eve '78

The Slytherin pair floo'd straight to Marlene's house from Godric's Hollow, seeing no one but Sirius Black, apparently the groom was ridiculously nervous and not even able to greet the witches, they'd both laughed at that and sure enough, upstairs, upon hearing Juliet Romilly's laughter, Remus Lupin had jumped up from where he was comforting James on the floor of his bedroom, only to be clung onto and begged to stay by his old friend.

"Yeah," Marlene was chattering, her arm linked with Arabella's as she showed the witches to their rooms, "and I'm maid of honour, incredible, her sister... fucking bitch... is refusing to even come. Yeah, I know," she muttered to Arabella. 

Juliet lagged behind, letting the two witches have their moment. She felt for Lily, and couldn't believe anyone would prejudice against her for being a witch. At home they hated her for being too magic, at school some had deemed her not magic enough, purely because of her blood. 

She truly was a strong witch.

Lily Evans squealed at the sight of the two witches, first pulling Juliet Romilly into a tight hug and kissing her on the forehead.

"I am so happy you're both here," she smiled as she released Arabella from a similarly crushing hug, her eyes already filling with tears.

"Well, you got us here, Lil," Arabella smiled, nudging the witch.

"And thank you," Juliet said softly. "For getting us here, almost driven myself mad spending every single day with Arabella and Arabella only for the last six months," she grinned, winking at her friend who was leaning back into Marlene.