SEVENTY FOUR

March '79

Dear Regulus,

I hope school is okay. I'm fine. Narcissa has been looking after me, she's talked to me a little. I've been having nightmares, about that night. Apparently we have another mission in June, I don't think I can do it. I keep thinking about Juliet, I envy her so. I always have, I suppose. 

I wish I wasn't here.

I'm sorry that I'm not putting this more eloquently, I don't know how anymore, but Orion has died. The funeral is next week, so come home before Easter. I'll be glad to see you. Something odd is happening here.

Love,

Ophelia Rosier

Tears filled the man's eyes as he read the letter, everything felt pointless. He felt frustrated. This life was because of Orion. His entire life had been lived to please this man, to impress him, to follow his wishes. And now he was gone. 

All that was left of Orion Black was Regulus Black.

Dumbledore had arranged for him to leave school, he'd shook the boy's hand and said "make good choices." Regulus had scoffed at him and got on the empty train, watching the mountains roll by, feeling a sense of finality. He was still meant to have three months left of school, he still had his NEWTs to sit, but for some reason it felt like the last time he'd see these views, or be sat on this train.

Ophelia Rosier met him on the platform, it was the first time he had seen the witch out of her room since Christmas. Her hair was pulled back tightly, and she wore black lace. She wrapped a gloved hand around Regulus' neck and embraced him, kissing him lightly on the cheek, before apparating them both to 12 Grimmauld Place.

They stood outside the front door, hand in hand, Ophelia squeezed the man's hand and he looked down and smiled at her.

"You look nice, pheels."

"Thanks, Reg," she said quietly.

Walburga Black's sobs echoed throughout the house, Narcissa Malfoy was desperately trying to console the witch as Lucius Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange rolled their eyes in the corner.

"My son," Walburga gasped, reaching out a hand to Regulus.

Ophelia removed her arm from where it was linked with Regulus' and watched him go to his mother, the witch sobbed into his shoulder.

"Orion," she cried.

Nathaniel Romilly and Abraxas Malfoy approached Regulus, they both bowed their heads and shook their hands.

"Orion was the best of us," Nathaniel said.

"You're the man of the Black family, now," Abraxas said, his head still bowed. 

"This is your house now Regulus," Walburga said, gripping her sons hand. "Yours and your wife's," she said, looking to Ophelia through tears.

Ophelia sat beside her future mother in law and took one of her hands, "thank you, Mrs Black." 

"Where's Kreacher?" Regulus asked, as he unpacked his clothes. "I haven't seen him."

Ophelia looked up from where she folded the man's shirts, a confused expression on her face. 

"The Dark Lord. You gave him- you allowed him to use him."

"Months ago," Regulus hissed.

"I'm not sure, I'm sorry."