SIXTY ONE

"I'll see you in a few days, then," Regulus said, watching his fiancee pack.

He resented who he was becoming in so many ways, sending Juliet away for the Dark Lord's arrival was right though, he was sure of that. If he couldn't be a good person for himself anymore, he would be for her. Hell, he'd let her permanently stay wherever his brother was if it meant she was safe. He loved her and she knew it, and if he couldn't make her reciprocate he was as good as doomed. 

She was the only light in his dark world.

"You will," she smiled, standing next to where he sat on her bed and lightly hugging his head. "Thank you, Reg," she said, pulling away and looking down.

He looked up and met her eyes, "anything for you Jules, really."

She smiled and sighed, turning around to continue packing, why couldn't she love him?

Regulus thought the same thing, "you'll stick with Arabella?"

"And Persephone."

"She's going?" He asked, shocked.

"Mm," Juliet nodded, meeting his eyes. "Don't-"

Regulus rolled his eyes, "Merlin, I'm not going to tell Caius, Jules. Salazar, where did our trust go?"

Juliet smiled at the wizard with pity in her eyes. All of her and Regulus' fall-outs, his views, his anger, all only lead her to pity. She wasn't sure what the future held for him.

"Sorry," she replied. "Just looking out for Persephone."

"Your friendship with her is about as hot and cold as ours," he laughed tightly in response.

"As are all Slytherin's," she said quietly.

"Indeed," he mused. "Where does Avery think she will be?"

"Hogwarts, where everyone thinks I will be too, I already told Narcissa."

"For?"

"Well, Pen and I are a year ahead in potions, aren't we? Extra lessons before term starts. Also attending their New Year's ball."

"I see."

"Thank you, Regulus," she said, buckling her trunk. "I mean it," she continued, kissing him lightly on the cheek and softening as he hugged her.

"Keeping you safe is about the only good thing I can do...Where are you staying?"

"I- I mean, I'm not going to..." She started, hesitating to tell him.

The boy laughed and ran a hand through his hair, "we really are on different sides now, huh?"

"Sirius would take you in in a heartbeat," was all she replied.

He shook his head, "it's not the path for me, Jules. We've always known that."

She smiled back and was saved by a knock on the door, she opened it to see Arabella grinning widely.

"Regulus," she said, nodding her head at him. "Alright?"

"Fine, thanks, Bella," he said softly. "Look after Juliet."

Juliet laughed and hugged him again, before linking Arabella's arm and leaving 12 Grimmauld Place.

"Right, well, you need to get changed, you weirdo," Arabella said, throwing Juliet a jumper and a pair of jeans.

"What? Why?"

Arabella eyed her friend's black dress and cloak, "you look like a witch."

"I am a witch."