FIFTEEN

"We'll use the Honeydukes passage next week-"

Peter groaned, "we're allowed to go to Hogsmeade on Saturday, for once, why can't we just go the normal way?"

Sirius scoffed and threw an empty chocolate frog box at the boy's head, "because where is the fun in that, Pete?"

"I don't want to get into trouble," he muttered.

Remus laughed, "since when do you care about that?"

"Since when do any of us?" James exclaimed. 

"I'm a prefect-" Remus interrupted.

Sirius threw another box, "shut up, Moony."

"We're the marauders! We have to do things the exciting way!" James said loudly.

Remus smirked and jumped up from the common room sofa which he sat on, "well, you boys continue planning exciting things for us, I'm patrolling."

"It's Sunday!" Sirius exclaimed, earning him a questioning look from Remus.

"Which is when I usually patrol... do you pay no attention?"

"Who with? Tell me it's not Evans..." James said sadly.

Remus sighed, "with Romilly."

Each boy burst out laughing.

"I was worried I'd envy you," James smirked. "Well, enjoy your time with Mrs Death Eater."

"Get some dirt on my brother," Sirius shouted after his friend as he left the common room.

Juliet was utterly silent for the majority of their patrol, not even bothering to take points from Gryffindoors who were out after curfew, Remus thought that he would have appreciated it more like this, but the silence made him uneasy. However any attempt that he made to make casual conversation turned futile.

Towards the end of their duties he decided to try again.

"So...er... the polyjuice potion seems to be going well, doesn't it?"

The witch gave him an incredulous look, "yes, it is going well."

"You're- er- good at potions..."

"Right, thank you."

"No worries," he said, clearing his throat slightly.

Remus could have sworn that there was a snicker behind him and he wondered if the marauders were following them.

"How's the OWLs going?" He asked again.

"Fine," Juliet replied.

"Good... they're not so bad when you do them... not for someone like you anyway..."

The corner of her mouth upturned and she stopped and looked at him, "and what is someone like me, Lupin?"

"Oh- well- y'know- you're starting NEWTs early... so..."

"That terrified to compliment me?" She grinned.

He rolled his eyes at her, "no, Romilly. I mean for someone as smart as you are."

She laughed a little but said nothing and he decided that he liked the silence a lot less.

"So,- I heard you and Colin had an altercation the other night?"

Her eyes snapped up at him and she stared suspiciously, "I told Jones not to say anything about that-"

"Who said Colin told me?" He said quickly, realising that he probably shouldn't have said anything.