THIRTY ONE

Remus knew immediately that something was wrong when he woke up in the hospital wing. Usually, the marauders would arrive a lot later, each wanting a lie in after a tiring night, however on this particular morning they were early. That wasn't the only odd thing, Professor Mcgonagall stood at the end of his bed, with Lily Evans to the right of her. Remus rubbed his eyes and began to panic as he properly woke up.

"What's happened- did I? Did i hurt someone..." He asked slowly, already dreading the answer.

"No, Remus! Merlin, no!" Lily exclaimed, going over to sit beside him. Remus looked at James and Sirius who both looked guilty.

"My mum?"He asked, looking at his head of house.

"Remus..." The old witch started kindly, "last night two people saw you in your... transformed state."

The boy stared in shock at his best friends, James was looking at Lily, biting his lip, Sirius was rubbing the back of his neck, and Peter was staring at the floor.

"How did it? I don't remember a lot of last night- but it's never happened before. We did everything right-"

"I am aware, Remus. It isn't your fault at all-"

"Then how?" He asked, his voice raising as he became increasingly stressed.

Mcgonagall looked at James, Peter and Sirius, and then back to Remus. "Your friends will explain to you, and I have been reassured by Professor Dumbledore that the two students will keep the secret."

"Who was it?" Remus groaned. 

"Well, I was there too," Lily murmured. "So really three people saw."

Remus stared at the witch next to him, trying not to let tears come into his eyes. 

"I'm so sorry, Lil."

Lily rested her head on his, "nothing to be sorry about, Remus."

"And then it was - er- Snape and-" James started.

"Snape?" Remus said loudly. "Snape? Professor, you really think he won't say anything-"

Professor Mcgonagall held up a hand, "the headmaster has assured me that he will not, and I believe him."

"Bloody hell, who else was it? Fucking Malfoy?" Remus said dryly.

"No-" James said, stuttering a little. "Er- Romilly."

"What?" Remus asked, completely shocked. 

"Juliet," Lily repeated. "It was Juliet."

Remus sighed and leant his head back into the pillow, staring at the ceiling, "fucking hell..."

"She won't say anything," Lily said reassuringly.

"Dumbledore's promised that too, has he?" He asked, looking to his head of house. 

"Miss Evans here seemed convinced that she wouldn't-"

"Lily?" Remus said questioningly. 

"Come on, Remus, she wouldn't say anything. Besides, you know some of her secrets-"

"Hardly the same!"

"You know about 12 Grimmauld Place on New Years Eve," Lily said swiftly. "That could get her ki- severely punished."

"Do you tell her everything?" Remus asked, rolling his eyes and looking at James. 

"It's true, though. She'd be fucked if anyone knew about that." James muttered.