SIXTY THREE

"We're thinking of skipping my parents' New Years party," James informed the group of Slytherins and Gryffindors who had assembled in Marlene McKinnon's living room.

"Why?" Arabella Greengrass asked, looking up from The Daily Prophet.

"Dunno-" the man started.

"James is feeling emotional," Lily smiled, snaking an arm around his waist. "The three marauders were reminiscing on our last few months."

Marlene smiled and swallowed quietly, "Merlin, it's only just sinking in really. Seven years, Lil. Seven years we've lived together."

"Fucking hell," Sirius sighed, "shut up. Don't wanna think about it."

On a small table in the corner of the room, Arabella, Juliet, and Persephone held each other's hands. It was sad for the Gryffindors, of course, but they'd fight together. They could stay together.

"Our last Christmas," Juliet said quietly, watching as James, Sirius, and Remus left the room.

"It won't be," Lily smiled, squeezing the witch's shoulder as she sat down.

"We're on different sides now," Juliet said, gesturing between her and her fellow Slytherins.

"I don't know," Persephone sighed.

"I'm on Marlene's side," Arabella huffed, watching the blonde woman laughing with her house elf.

"And you're on Sirius'," Lily prompted Persephone.

"I want to be."

Juliet shook her head, "you girls are safe, as of now. No one expects anything of you. Be passive, like Narcissa. You still have two years of Hogwarts left."

"And you don't?"

"I won't be here next year," she smiled sadly. "I can't complete the task, I'll either be dead, or safe."

"You'll be safe," Lily nodded, before turning to Marlene, "our plans to see in '78?"

"Get pissed on the beach?" She shouted back cheerily. "Again? The lads have gone to the shop to stock up."

"A muggle shop?" Arabella asked.

Juliet snorted when Lily nodded, "now that is somewhere I would love to see Black and Potter."

"I think Remus does the talking," the redhead giggled back.

"Moony has news," Sirius grinned, elbowing his friend as James raised an eyebrow.

"As do you, Padfoot."

"Alright, me first. Told Parkinson I love her."

"Intense," James replied.

"Yeah. She told me she's still gonna marry Avery."

"Wouldn't really expect much less..." James said gently.

"I dunno," Sirius said. "I honestly dunno. Me and her have been hot and cold for the last year. I do love her, though," he sighed. 

James put a quick arm around his friend's shoulder, "we'll work everything out. Moony?"

"Oh, yearh, er- She was drunk- as was I-"

"Reckons Romilly was about to kiss him," Sirius grinned.

"Romilly?! Fuck me." He started laughing. "Imagine hearing that sentence a year ago."

"Tell me about it," Sirius laughed. "Us and our Slytherins, eh?"

"What's her plan? Still Andy?" James asked.