SEVENTY EIGHT

Halloween '79

October 31st marked three months since she had been moved into her safe house, the summer had been nice, August went quickly, she had Remus with her for an entire week, and she enjoyed walking for as far as the wards would get her. She could people watch muggles on the beach, from the safety of her wards, she watched friends smoking and drinking, couples kissing, children swimming, muggles playing with their dogs, and she envied them. There was a war in another world that they had no idea about. Sure, there had been a few random attacks, where people had died in suspicious circumstances, but they had no idea.

Wouldn't it be nice to be a muggle?, she had thought.

After the week of the full moon, Remus tried to visit her every week, but he was busy, the year below her had graduated Hogwarts and there was a whole host of new faces desperate to fight and join the order. Apparently Lily and James had taken charge of training new members, whilst Sirius had been paired with Frank Longbottom for missions, and Remus (terrifyingly) with Alastor Moody.

When August slipped into September, the beach got quieter, the sky got darker, and the sun retreated sooner, and Juliet's mood slipped. She'd often think about Arabella and Persephone, wondering how they were, wondering if the order would let Persephone stay with her, it would free up a safe house, afterall. She even allowed herself to think about Ophelia, Remus hadn't mentioned the witch to her at all, so she assumed she hadn't been seen anywhere. Was she evil? Juliet wasn't sure. After she received her dark mark, Ophelia had been down for months, not attending classes, not attending anything. That didn't seem like the actions of a true death eater. Although, she supposed they were younger then.

October 31st also signified the first night Juliet would leave her safe house in months, the first time she would see the marauders, see Bella, perhaps even Persephone, since months. She had spent all day getting ready, putting on a dress she used to wear to Slytherin parties, ensuring her mark was covered. When Remus knocked she rushed outside, quickly kissing him on the cheek, he wore a jumper over a white shirt, and had had a haircut since she last saw him.

"You look good," she said, smiling up at him. 

He grinned, "you too, Jules."

Arabella Greengrass had burst into tears at the sight of her best friend as soon as she and Remus Lupin walked through the front door at the Potter Manor, Fleamont and Euphemia's old home, which was apparently where James and Lily had been staying until their new house was completed. The witch grabbed Juliet's hand, and led her straight to the garden, before she could say a word to anyone else.

Juliet melted into Arabella's arms, laughing at how much the woman was sobbing, she supposed this had been the longest time they had been separated since they were eleven.

"Oh, Juliet," she said, still crying into her friend's lap. "I cannot go that long without you again, I want to move in with you," she said seriously.

Juliet nudged her friend, "you can't, Marlene..."

Arabella shook her head, sniffing and wiping away tears, "I think we're done. Since her parents, it's not been the same, it's not her fault, of course. I just can't do it. She's gone everyday, and she comes back upset, or secretive. I can't do it."

"Oh, Bella," Juliet sighed, hugging her tightly, "I am sorry."

"She didn't come tonight because she needs 'a break from it all,' apparently. She's really struggling."

"Poor Marlene," Juliet said sadly.

Arabella nodded, "it's awful, was just chatting with Lily and James, they seem okay. Poor Peter was silent, mousy as always, seemed awfully stressed. Sirius is the worst, by far, by the sounds of things."