FIFTY TWO

By the week before the Christmas holidays, Juliet had become thoroughly used to the new atmosphere in Slytherin. Her mark meant that no one suspected her, the men spoke to her as an equal and her faith hadn't been brought into question since. Evan Rosier left her alone and her friendship with Ophelia, Persephone and Arabella was back to normal, with Arabella being the only one out of the group to have not received the dark mark- although apparently there were plans for her to after Christmas.

You could tell that Slytherins were getting more serious about the war, the sixth and seventh years would read the papers every day, familiarising themselves with the progress and checking up on whose parents were being watched. Even in the younger years, complete respect was shown to Juliet and her friends, they acted the way they did around Regulus, she supposed that the Romilly and Rosier names held the same levels of importance. Lucius hadn't returned to Hogwarts, her father had written a couple of times saying that he was playing an important part in the Dark Lord's plan, Narcissa seemed fairly unbothered by the lack of her fiance's presence.

Juliet's engagement to Regulus Black had been confirmed just after Halloween, both families had written to confirm it and express their congratulations. The whole of Slytherin had been ecstatic, it was a reason to have a party after all. Juliet had made both families promise that it wouldn't happen until they were both nineteen and had completed school, Regulus had agreed to it. The marauders had sarcastically congratulated her in a potions lesson, and other than a compulsory pairing with James Potter one week, that was the only contact she had with any of them.

"Nathaniel says you'll be staying here over Christmas," Regulus suddenly said to the witch, looking at her from where they sat opposite each other beside the fire in the Slytherin common room.

"He told you that? I've packed, we're supposed to leave in the morning." Juliet snapped, snatching the parchment out of the man's hands.

"Yes... Plenty of people will be here, it is the ball after all."

"Who am I supposed to go with?" She asked sternly. "My fiance isn't here."

"Juliet," Regulus sighed.

"Not to worry, I'll see if Barty wants to," she said sweetly.

"He's coming to mine, only the girls are staying here."

"Is Ophelia?"

"I think she's coming to Grimmauld Place. Apparently there's an arrangement with her and Crouch."

"Oh," Juliet muttered, thinking about how relieved Arabella would be to hear that, following her parents own attempts to have her set up with Barty Crouch Jr. "That's quite a fall for her from you."

The man smirked, "yes, well. Save the best for the best."

She laughed and stood up, "what's happening over Christmas that I can't be there for then?"

"It's not to do with you," he replied kindly. "Ophelia is there purely for the benefit of Barty. Persephone and Arabella are staying here, even Narcissa is."

"Oh. I didn't know. I suppose I'll go to the ball with Ciss then."

"Exactly," Regulus smiled, kissing her briefly on the head. "It'll be fun. I'm going to bed, gotta be up for the train. Night.."

"Night, Reg," she said faintly, sitting back down and narrowing her eyes as Narcissa crept down the stairs. 

"I have to tell you something," the older witch said. 

"Yes."

"You can't tell anyone-"

"I wouldn't."

"Or I'll tell Regulus you were writing to Lupin-"