NINETY

September, 87

Sirius Black thought about everything, every single day. The marauders occupied every single one of his thoughts, Lily did, Juliet did, Peter did. He wondered if he would ever have a life again. He would escape, or he would die trying, eventually. But would anyone believe him? He needed to find Peter, that was the most important part of his plan. He didn't care if he had to be in hiding, as long as Harry believed him. Harry and Remus. He supposed they were the only people that he could possibly have left. Juliet had been imprisoned because of him, she was innocent. The most guilty part of her was her dark mark, which she never wanted. He remembered how it was Peter who exposed that to them, and how Juliet never warmed to him. She'd always been a smart witch.

Juliet also allowed herself to think more as her release approached, she was six years older than she had been on the fateful night of Halloween '81. Dumbledore's job offer played on her mind, but the idea of Hogwarts haunted her, she wasn't sure if she could ever walk those corridors again. She wasn't sure if she even wanted to use magic ever again. Since Nathaniel had also been arrested, she had access to his money, as he had never changed anything to legally say she wasn't his daughter. Narcissa had offered her help as well, but even the thought of her was not inviting. Nothing was, other than freedom. 

When Albus met her on the day of her release, she reluctantly took her wand, and took his arm as he apparated them to the cottage on the beach that she had lived in as a safe house. Andromeda had agreed to let her stay there, instead of where Narcissa had offered in Cornwall - there were too many memories for her there. Her old headmaster once again mentioned Hogwarts, and she said that eventually she would consider it and write to him. When he left her, she stood on her doorstep and exhaled.

Six years, gone. Lost.

The house had been repaired, since Arabella was murdered there, she hadn't been back since that day. Her eyes filled with tears as she remembered her best friend, as she remembered it was her who crossed the wards and let them in. Perhaps that was why she had resisted Azkaban so little. She was guilty of that.

Before going inside, she walked, the same way she had gone with Remus when he'd asked her to live with him, and told her he loved her. Had she ever said it back? She couldn't remember, everything about him felt like a memory. She wasn't sure if she would ever be able to look him in the eyes again, and knew she would stop at nothing to avoid him forever. 

Her wand felt odd in her pocket but her magic felt more powerful than ever, she was a witch, and always would be. Holding it felt like home, a witch and her wand should not be apart for so long. She wondered if she was still powerful, she had always been impressed at her ability to produce a corporal patronus. She closed her eyes and thought of the beach she stood on, but seven years prior. Sunbathing with Arabella, excited on Friday nights waiting for Remus.

When a wolf shot out of her wand she burst into tears, absentmindedly thinking about him.

On the 1st November 1987 Remus sat on his doorstep having a cigarette, he was meant to meet Anne over an hour ago but couldn't bring himself to. Juliet would have been released this morning, the day he had thought about for years was here and he had no idea how he felt. He couldn't write to her, he didn't have an owl and he had no idea where she was. He also wasn't sure if he wanted to hear from her, or if she wanted to hear from him. She was a reminder of everything he had tried so hard to distance himself from. 

A wolf appeared in front of him and he stood up but no message arrived, it just paused, one paw raised, and turned back and ran. That was her, he knew it. She was safe, she had her wand, and for now, that was enough.