TWENTY EIGHT

By the 4th February, another twelve muggle parents or muggleborn witches or wizards had been murdered in their homes. Nathaniel Romilly's name had been connected to six of them, but each time Abraxas Malfoy had provided him with an alibi. Juliet could no longer defend him to herself, there was no doubt in her mind that he had murdered those people. A lot of Slytherins were in better moods than they had ever been, and more than usual were acting oddly friendly to Juliet.

Outside of her own house, however, people would mutter "murderer" or "death eater" when they walked past her. Colin Jones had outright refused to patrol with her, stating that as a muggle-born, he didn't feel safe. Juliet felt that it was all extremely unfair, she didn't ask to be born a Romilly, she didn't ask to be put in Slytherin, and she certainly didn't ask to have a murderer for a father.

After various arguments with Evan, the witch finally broke down and talked to Narcissa about what he showed her on Christmas Eve. The older witch was not surprised at her announcement, and had told her that Lucius also had the tattoo.

"Who's next?" Juliet had asked shakily.

Narcissa shrugged, "I don't know, Regulus, I suppose. I think Flint has it too, Mulciber and Avery certainly do. Snape, perhaps."

"Snape?"

"Mm."

"Will- will you?"

The witch sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "Bellatrix has it, but she's more devoted than anyone here. My mother tells me that marrying Lucius is enough."

"Reg said it's only a matter of time for me," Juliet muttered.

"If you resisted your engagement less, then I'm sure you wouldn't have to."

"He said he's going to ask Orion and Walburga if he and I can marry..."

Narcissa shook her head, "they'd never allow it."

"Why? He said the same, but I don't understand. I'm a Romilly."

"It's not for me to talk about, Juliet. Just know that my aunt and uncle would never allow it to happen."

"Cissa-"

"Look, it's to do with your mother, okay."

"What?!"

"That's all I'm saying, come on," she said, standing up. "We have potions."

Juliet glanced around her common room and caught Regulus' eye, he had Ophelia draped over him and was talking to Evan. She wondered if Ophelia had it, she had worn a long sleeved dress on New Years Eve, but perhaps that was thinking into it a little too much.

"Don't overthink it," Narcissa muttered, dragging her towards the portrait hole.

When Juliet entered the potions classroom, the first thing she saw was Caius Avery whispering to Slughorn, both looking at where Persephone sat looking miserable, alone. She guessed that he had changed the partners as they were due to start Veritaserum. James Potter was partnered with Severus Snape, which Sirius Black was laughing about from where he sat with Lily Evans. 

"Miss Romilly, Juliet, come in dear," Slughorn said, watching her hang in the doorway scanning the classroom. "You're with Mr Lupin again for this one, as promised.

"Joy," the witch muttered. 

"As promised? Did you ask for this, Romilly?" Caius snapped from where he had taken a seat next to Persephone.

"Yeah, just like how I'm sure Pen asked to be with you," she said sweetly, 

"Careful, she'll get her dad on you Avery," Adrian Flint said loudly, a huge smile plastered onto his face.