FIFTY SIX

Caius went straight to 12 Grimmauld Place upon receiving Peter Pettigrew's letter. He had no idea how Regulus would take it, or if he already knew. He was shaking with excitement, since he had never particularly liked Juliet and had always loved the rumours surrounding her family. It would feel good for him, Caius Avery, to take down one of the most notorious 'pureblood' families. He was sure that this would change things, he was sure that this would make the Dark Lord value him more and see that he deserves a place in the highest ranks.

He didn't bother knocking when he entered and walked straight into Regulus packing for their return to Hogwarts next week.

"Avery, ever heard of knocking?" The boy scoffed. "Don't forget who you are."

Caius ignored his degrading voice and grinned menacingly, "you're going to want to hear this."

"What?" Regulus asked, sounding tired.

"Romilly is a half-blood."

"What?" He repeated, shocked.

"The Gryffindor, Jones, he found out. Told your brother's friends. An inside source told me."

"Shit," Regulus said, remembering that it was him who gave Juliet the photos of her mother with Colin's. He enabled this.

"How fucking classic," Avery laughed.

"You're not to tell anyone-"

The boy smirked, "the Dark Lord has to know."

"I agree, but it has to be dealt with sensitively."

"Why? Because you love her? That means nothing."

"Because I said so," Regulus snapped.

"Don't threaten me, Black. Not when I know this."

"Remember your place, Avery," he spat.

"You have a week," he said slowly. "A week or I'll go straight to the Dark Lord."

Regulus groaned at his friend. "Do you think he'll kill her?"

Caius shrugged carelessly. "Dunno, probably test her."

"She could help me. Spy on Gryffindors I mean."

"I think it'll be a bit more extreme than that," he snorted.

"I wonder if Nathaniel knows."

"The imperius curse will find that out. He'll be killed if he lies."

"Fucking hell."

"Anyway, I'm off," Caius grinned. "Have fun."

"Dickhead," Regulus muttered under his breath as he slammed the front door.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Regulus cursed, kicking his bookshelf several times. He had no idea what to think, or what to do, or how other death eaters would react if they knew the truth.

Juliet had heard all of the noise he was making and was annoyed to be disturbed, she came into his room and found her fiance looking troubled. 

"What is it?" She asked worriedly. "Cissa-"

"She's fine."

"Then what?"

"Sit down, please." Regulus said, patting his bed. Juliet cautiously obliged, she had never seen Regulus look so worried. "Caius told me something which I think you may already know."

"What is it?" She asked calmly, internally frantically trying to recall what Peter could have found out.

Regulus took a deep breath, "Nathaniel isn't your birth father."