SEVENTY SEVEN

August '79

A few weeks alone was more than enough for Juliet, since graduating Hogwarts, she had gone from the extreme of constant company in the dorms, to a small house, in the remote north of England, somewhere she did not know, with no one with her. Lily and Arabella had been writing to her a lot, apparently the latter hadn't been allowed to join the order, and there was no chance Persephone would be, since she had the dark mark. Marlene was fighting Arabella's case though, apparently, since her parent's death, the witch had been more involved in the order than ever, desperate to get revenge.

She thought of Regulus often, sometimes she'd cry, and sometimes she'd smile. She'd reread the letter he wrote her, and she'd understand. Understand his ending. It was painful, and it had broken her heart, and she wished she'd tried harder to make him see the light, just as Sirius wished the same. In the end, he had to die, or in the end he always would. 

That was his ending, she saw that now.

She thought of Remus too, what he was to her, what she was to him. Hoping that they'd get the time after the war that he promised so often.

Remus Lupin apparated to outside the wards of the cottage one August evening, walking and being met with relief as he realised they were still working. He would still get shocked at how his own powers were growing, he'd always been book smart, but in this war he was powerful

Juliet was lying on the grass outside her small house, the evening sunset reflecting off her, a small book in her hand, she was laughing as she read. She noticed the wizard as he got closer, and looked up, smiling.

"You look well," he said to her, grinning, as she stood up and brushed grass off her dress. 

"You look tired," she said, laughing and squeezing his arm, using her wand to unlock the door. "Tea?"

"Yeah, it's getting dark," he said, sitting down and dropping his enchanted bag on the floor, watching the witch flick her wand at various cupboards. "Didn't fancy living like a muggle, then?"

Juliet laughed, "certainly not, Remus." She levitated both mugs to a small coffee table and sat beside the man on the sofa. "How were the missions?"

He shrugged, "alright, just on a mission to capture death eaters. Lucius Malfoy is our number one wanted man, can you believe it?"

"I can, unfortunately."

"He's been spotted at every attack in the last few months. A girl was killed two weeks ago, a muggleborn from Hufflepuff, two years below you. He would have been at school with her, and he watched her die," Remus spat, disgusted. "I remember when I asked Fleamont about your real father," he said, pausing to make sure the witch wasn't getting upset at the mention of Andrew Jones, "and he said to me, in a few years, Slytherins from your year will be murdering people. It was always unfathomable to me. I used to patrol with him, for fuck's sake."

"I know," the witch sighed, nodding. "I can't help but think about Cissa." She noticed a slightly sharp look from the man beside her, "come off it, Remus. I think Regulus' death has proven that not all Slytherins are evil. Or indeed myself, or Bella."

"I know that, I do. But in these circumstances, I'm busy thinking about the muggleborn student murdered-" He said, not meaning his words.

Juliet rolled her eyes, "obviously that is awful, of course it is. My sympathy extends further than one person-"

"To a death eater's wife." he hissed.

Juliet held a hand up to him, fury in her eyes, "if I remember correctly, Lupin, your friends called me a death eater for a good year at school," before he could say another word she thrust her marked arm in his direction, it was red, rashy, as always. "Does this make me a death eater?"