CASE 43

I furrowed my brows slightly, feeling something warm press to my cheek.

Which seconds later was pressed to the tip of my nose.

I drew in a calm breath—feeling that same warmness on my other cheek.

And then on my forehead.

I yawned slightly to myself, allowing my eyes to flutter open to the bright room lit by the sun.

"Good morning."

I hummed to myself, "Good mo—"

But when her voice hit me—and her literal presence that was finally conscious hit me, I felt my entire body practically light up one nerve at a time.

"You're awake," I said, not even bothering to hide my grin as I met her beautiful dark eyes.

Fenix gently guided my stray hairs away from my face, "Before you too," she pointed out, raising a slight brow.

I couldn't help but smile even wider to myself, "I wouldn't have it any other way," I said, knowing I was just thankful that she was actually awake right now.

Fenix hummed leaning down for a kiss that I didn't even hesitate to meet her halfway for.

Her lips were as warm as ever—practically pressing to mine so perfectly, I questioned why they were ever forced apart.

And as we pulled apart, Fenix carefully looked between my eyes, allowing herself to take in my appearance fully, "Are you okay?" she questioned.

I gave her a playful look, "I should be asking you that," I joked.

But Fenix only remained serious, which was already a rare occurrence within itself, "We both know I'm good now—" she gently grabbed my chin, leveling my stare with hers, "—What I need to know is if you're okay," she said.

And suddenly, the playful mood we had established was gone.

Now I was forced to face the reality of everything that had managed to happen within the last twenty-four hours.

How much of a mess I was—how scared and worried I was with Fenix's life suddenly being on the line.

Fenix let out a soft sigh as soon as the annoying tears fell from my eyes.

I didn't want to cry.

I wanted to be strong for her—she's the one who just took a bullet for me and went through an intense surgery.

But even with her being awake—the aftermath that the entire situation left on me managed to still hurt.

"Why would you do that?" I forced out as she carefully wiped away my stray tears,

Fenix frowned, "Do what? Take the bullet for you?" she questioned.

I let out a wavering breath, gently wrapping my arms around her bandaged torso.

"It would've been fine, you shouldn't—"

"She was willing to shoot you to get to me, Devora. It was definitely not fine," Fenix cut me short, clearly standing by her actions. "I would never allow your life to be risked. Ever," she clarified, holding my stare carefully.

I felt more tears weigh down my eyes, "But your life is my life—and you... you risked it," I forced out through my tears, easily making Fenix's frown grow. "You hurt me—seeing you like that hurt me so much," I said, feeling everything break down inside of me.

Fenix leaned down into me, easily pulling me into a deep hug, "I'm sorry I hurt you—I'm sorry I risked our life," she emphasized, and even hearing her refer to us as a unit seemingly sent something warm throughout my chest.