CASE 36

I furrowed my brows, feeling someone lightly tap my shoulder.

"Rossi."

And I didn't need to hear the familiar voice or nickname again to know it was her.

"Fenix," I whispered, allowing my eyes to flutter open from my deep sleep.

And almost immediately, my attention fell on her, noticing her kneeling by my bed under the pale moonlight as the once-locked door remained open.

It had only been a few hours since I found out who Wynn really was—since I discovered that my old life would be coming to a full-on stop.

Well, supposedly, but now Fenix is here.

I felt my smile grow so wide my cheeks ached, "You found me?" I forced out, feeling my eyes grow heavy with tears.

Fenix's lips twitched up into her familiar smirk, "Of course, I did—you can't get rid of me that easily," she joked, and even if it was far from the time to joke, I couldn't help but feel grateful that she was even here in the first place.

"I'm sorry—I'm so sorry," I forced out, leaning up from the bed as I wiped away my now-flowing tears.

It was like an immense guilt crashed on me, hating how I had left things with her.

Fenix frowned, "You have nothing to apologize for," she assured me.

But I only shook my head, "I should've stayed," I breathed out, feeling everything inside of me crack.

And I expected Fenix to say I didn't know any better.

Or maybe that it was all in the moment.

But instead, she seemed to say, "You should've."

My brows furrowed, looking between her eyes in confusion.

"You should've stayed, Devora—why didn't you stay?" Fenix questioned, clearly growing upset.

I felt my mouth open and close, "I-I couldn't. Not after what—"

"But now look at you—look at what you got us into," Fenix cut me short, easily making my guilty tears multiply.

I reached out for her hand, "I'm sorry—I'm so sorry," I cried out, gripping onto Fenix's hand that felt terrifyingly cold.

She never felt cold.

"You should've stayed," Fenix repeated, forcing my cries to grow into sobs.

"You should've stayed."

"You should've—"

A scream fell from my lips as I jolted awake, sitting up from the bed as I gripped onto the covers.

And almost immediately, the unfamiliar door glided open—allowing my eyes to fall on Wynn who seemed entirely startled.

"What is it?" she questioned, clearly concerned as she made her way over to me.

But I couldn't even bother to focus on her, not when I seemed to realize that I was on an airplane flying through the dark night.

When did we leave?

All I remember was Wynn leaving earlier in the day after she revealed that she was the leader.

I ended up eating the food and drinking the water she had sent up before falling back asleep and later on eating dinner.

That I now realized might've been drugged.

I flinched slightly when Wynn sat down at the end of the bed, going out of her way to not touch me.