CASE 7

"Yes, I was hoping you had a room available," I said, watching the woman behind the front desk click around on her computer as Fenix stood beside me.

But I could tell with the woman's furrowed brows that she was coming up short.

"I'm sorry ma'am—it's Halloween and Boston is normally booked around this time for the masquerade party," the woman politely explained.

I let out a sigh, "It's fine—" I easily grabbed Fenix's wrist that reached over toward her hip, knowing what she was about to do, "—Thank you for checking," I said, looking over to Fenix with a narrowed look.

Fenix visibly tightened her jaw, jerking her wrist from my grasp as she reluctantly walked toward the shiny elevators with me.

"You need to stop being stubborn," Fenix said, pressing the round button that immediately lit up with a white glow.

I shrugged, "And you need to stop killing people every chance you get," I reiterated.

"That's kind of in my job description—" Fenix suddenly turned to me, "—and who said I was going to kill her?" she questioned.

I narrowed my eyes at her, "Says the gun you were reaching for," I pointed out, following her onto the elevator.

Fenix shrugged to herself, pressing the sixtieth floor which just so happened to be the highest, "I was just going to subtly threaten her," she casually explained.

I let out an unamused laugh, "Yeah like that would be subtle," I sarcastically said as the elevator shot up. "And threatening her wasn't going to make a vacant room magically appear," I added, knowing her tactic was useless.

"You don't know that," Fenix countered.

I gave her yet another narrowed look, "But I do—you would've ended up getting us kicked out and then we wouldn't even have your room to go to," I explained, hoping she'd finally use a logical approach for once.

"Again, you don't know that," Fenix said as the elevator came to a halt, forcing the doors to slide open, "I could've always killed her before security came," she subtly added.

I pinched the bridge of my nose as we walked off the elevator—finding so many things that could've gone wrong with what she just said.

How is she even alive still? Or better yet, not in jail?

I watched as Fenix unlocked the door to the hotel room that she had booked in advance.

I swear I had the worst headache of my life—and it felt like it would be turning into a migraine with how badly Fenix was pressing my nerves.

"Fuck, I didn't pack anything," I breathed out, watching Fenix set her leather duffel bag by the bed.

Leaving town so last minutely wasn't exactly planned.

Fenix unzipped her bag and threw one of the black t-shirts toward me—forcing me to instinctively catch it.

"You can wear that tonight—tomorrow we'll go shopping," she said, walking over toward the bathroom.

I hesitantly unfolded the t-shirt—finding it entirely odd to wear her clothes.

"And there's a toothbrush and toothpaste in here," she called out from the bathroom, easily making my brows raise in surprise.

I guess the most expensive room in the hotel does get you the best-accommodated toiletries.

While Fenix unpacked her guns and organized her many other weapons—I took a hot shower, using the lavender shampoo and conditioner provided along with unscented body wash.